QuickPanel+ to SLC503 Comms

Pin 1 is rarely the Tx pin in RS232 serial communications. I have used a QP+ communicating serially with a Mettler-Toledo scale and I'm 99.9% certain I used pins 2,3 & 5 on the Quick Panel.

Edit: Upon reflection, I'm pretty sure the port on the QP I used was 25-pin, in which case the GND is on pin 7. If they are mixing RS232 and RS422/RS485 on a single 9-pin port, then there will be deviations from the standard signal locations.

fasacrifice's reference to SNPX protocol selection for the communications is only for a GE PLC. For your SLC your selection of AB DF1 is the correct one.

25 pin is the old panels, new QP+ panels has only 5 or 10 pins with just screw type connectors and RX TX pins are correct.

I still suspect that pin order he is using is wrong. I did the same mistake and realized that after a day. remove the screw connector and look at the order on the panel itself. The drawings on the manual is showing the order on HMI not on the screw terminal

Agree that the pin out is not standard, this is because the connector is not a standard db9 connector see attached

There are no pin numbers on the removable connector for my unit. I am basing all my notes on the pin out below, this image is of the HMI itself so fasacrifice is correct you must be careful that you are using the correct pin. Assuming this image is correct I am certain I have the wire connected as described.

qp+com1.jpg

Last edited:
At this stage we don't know if the problem is with the setup of the PLC communication driver in the HMI, with the cable, or with the HMI hardware.

To narrow down the possibilities, I suggest that you run the HMI target in simulation mode with I/O enabled using the same serial cable you use to program the SLC. Be sure the DF1 comm driver is set to use the correct port and that RS Linx has completely released the port. You'll know the cable to be good, so if the HMI target still won't communicate there is a problem in the setup of the comm driver.

Agree that the pin out is not standard, this is because the connector is not a standard db9 connector see attached

There are no pin numbers on the removable connector for my unit. I am basing all my notes on the pin out below, this image is of the HMI itself so fasacrifice is correct you must be careful that you are using the correct pin. Assuming this image is correct I am certain I have the wire connected as described.
Nothing difficult about these and we have lots of them installed without issues, just need to follow instructions.

The 12" that you have has this port, you may need a different manual, COM1 is RS-232 ONLY.

COMM_2.jpg

Steve,

Thanks for the follow up, but I must admit I don't follow your instructions.
Perhaps I should explain further my setup.
The QP+ is connected to the PLC via the rs232 cable in question.
The QP+ is being programed with a lap top running Proficy Machine Edition and is connected to the QP+ via Ethernet.
The PLC is being programmed via a second laptop connected to the PLC via USB to 485 converter.

Are you suggesting placing the Allen Bradley 1747-CP3 (the cable I would typically use to connect my lap top to the serial port of the 503) in line with the custom cable I had to make (due to the nonstandard connector on the QP+) ?

I will look into the Simulation mode as I have never used that before.

thanks,

Nothing difficult about these and we have lots of them installed without issues, just need to follow instructions.

The 12" that you have has this port, you may need a different manual, COM1 is RS-232 ONLY.

Thanks for the reply Russ however the image I provided represents the connector I have. I do not have a 10 pin as your document shows.
My unit has two 5 pin connectors that appear exactly as my image shows. 1 - 5 pin for com 1 and 1 - 5 pin for com 2

I believe I posted the part number correctly but I will repost here for clarity.
IC755CSS12CDB-AA Brand new out of the box 4 days ago.

Last edited:
Steve,

Thanks for the follow up, but I must admit I don't follow your instructions.
Perhaps I should explain further my setup.
The QP+ is connected to the PLC via the rs232 cable in question.
The QP+ is being programed with a lap top running Proficy Machine Edition and is connected to the QP+ via Ethernet.
The PLC is being programmed via a second laptop connected to the PLC via USB to 485 converter.

Are you suggesting placing the Allen Bradley 1747-CP3 (the cable I would typically use to connect my lap top to the serial port of the 503) in line with the custom cable I had to make (due to the nonstandard connector on the QP+) ?

I will look into the Simulation mode as I have never used that before.

thanks,

He is saying that connect a RS-232 Cable between the PLC and the laptop where Machine edition installed. Yes you need a different RS-232 cable since the one you connect to HMI side is different. Then run the HMI in simulation mode to see PLC and HMI configurations are correct or not. If it works that means you have problem with either your cable or HMI hardware.

Thanks for the reply Russ however the image I provided represents the connector I have. I do not have a 10 pin as your document shows.

I believe I posted the part number correctly but I will repost here for clarity.
IC755CSS12CDB-AA Brand new out of the box 4 days ago.

IC755CSS12CDB has different releases. The one you have AA so it has 5 pin port. The one with 10 pin ports are older releases.

He is saying that connect a RS-232 Cable between the PLC and the laptop where Machine edition installed. Yes you need a different RS-232 cable since the one you connect to HMI side is different. Then run the HMI in simulation mode to see PLC and HMI configurations are correct or not. If it works that means you have problem with either your cable or HMI hardware.

Thanks fasacrifice, I get it now, sorry for being stupid.
Will try that.

Ok so we have some progress.

Using simulation mode the application works when run on the development computer and using the Native AB DF1 Driver.
I had to manufacture a cable wiring 2 to 3 / 3 to 2 / 5 to 5 with standard db9 connectors so I am still not certain if it is the cabling or the QP+ hardware.
But we are getting closer.
Thanks to everyone for the help.
If you think of some thing else it may be please let me know as I am still not fully operational.

Ok so we have some progress.

Using simulation mode the application works when run on the development computer and using the Native AB DF1 Driver.
I had to manufacture a cable wiring 2 to 3 / 3 to 2 / 5 to 5 with standard db9 connectors so I am still not certain if it is the cabling or the QP+ hardware.
But we are getting closer.
Thanks to everyone for the help.
If you think of some thing else it may be please let me know as I am still not fully operational.

Great so it's narrowed down to cable and HMI hardware. Check the cable you use again and then you can comfortably say QP+ has problem as expected. Since it's brand new you can ask for replacement or further help from them.

We now have a working system.
Final issue was the wiring and now is connected as follows.
SLC Pin 2 to QP+ Pin 1
SLC Pin 3 to QP+ Pin 2
SLC Pin 5 to QP+ Pin 5

Using Native Driver AB DF1
Com 1
Parity none
Error BCC

Device 1
Station 0
SLC500

PLC Side
DF1 Full DUplex
Source id 0
Parity None
No Handshaking
BCC
Embedded Response Enabled

Just in case anyone else ever dose this.
Thanks for all the help, it kept me thinking and not giving up.
🍻