Eaton ELC2 PLC

mechtec

We are doing a new job that the customer has requested Eaton PLC. I have the program ready to download to the plc, but as of yet, I cannot communicate with the plc. This is the PE version and using the ECIsoft software, the plc shows up on the network but still can't download the program by either ethernet or USB. Is there some magic trick that I am missing? I expect to spend extensive time on the phone with Tech Support but thought someone may know about this.

Thanks,

I have always used the serial cable to down load to the ELC controllers. Is that what you are using? If so, you don't need ECIsoft, just ELCsoft.

What method are you trying to use to connect to the PLC?

I only saw the Ethernet port and a USB port on this plc. The ECI software show me the IP address of the plc, but when I tried to download the program it said it couldn't open the port. When I plug the USB cable in it shows that I have made a connection in Device Manager but it says the driver didn't start. The manual shows to Update the driver but I don't have the file folder that they are showing and the automatic search says the driver is up to date. Have not been able to find any drivers for the ELC's on Eatons website.

I haven't used that particular PLC but I'm almost sure you are using the wrong software to try to download to the PLC.

In ELCSoft (NOT ECISoft) go to Options / Communications Settings
Then pick the communications type you are using (USB or Ethernet in your case).

Make sure you compile the program. Menu picks:
Compiler / Ladder => Instruction

Then to download use the Menu Picks: (OR Ctrl-T)
Communications / Transfer Setup / PC => ELC

Also make sure under Options / Change ELC type that the proper type of controller is selected.

Hope this helps.

Settings.png CommType.jpg

Thanks, nOrM. What you are explaining is pretty much what I did, I know it has to be a setting or the proper driver that I am missing. It will be Wednesday at the earliest before I get back to this project and I will get on the phone with tech support then.

Guess I didn't explain very well. I am using ELCSOFT to download the project to the plc. I only used ECiSoft to discover the IP address of the plc which I then entered in the ethernet setting of ELCSOFT. When I tried to download to the plc using either the ethernet setting or direct link(ethernet ), I got the message that the port could not be opened.

Thanks again