Panelview and AIC uploading to laptop

kbradray

I have a panelview currently using divicenet going through an AIC. I have no copy of the currently running program since the change to divicenet. I have tried to go online with the panelview with no success. Can someone help me to upload the running program and communication configuration for this panelview.

This is what I have

Panelview db9->AIC db9 (the round db9 is open)

AIC RS485 phoenix plug->SLC 505 Devicenet Scanner module

I have tried to use the extra RS232 on the panelview as well as the round db9 on the AIC module with no luck. I am unsure of the transfer type when trying to upload the file to my laptop. The selections are: DF1 point to point--RSLinxAB_DF1-1, DF1 point to point--internal COM1, DF1 point to point--internal COM3, RSlinx network, Remote I/O pass-through.

Any help is appreciated.

Ken

Ken,
What is the part number of your panelview? with this P/N you can check to see if the 232 is true or is it just a printer port

Read Ron's post in this thread it may help http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=25719

You can check your settings on (some, I don't know about all) the panelview during power up, cycle power and you will see a small square white box, push this and it will bring up the set up screen. you may be able to compare this to your settings
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=25719

More data

Thanks genius and mickey for your quick response. genius i think you may be correct because when i tried to upload the program it said that i must cut the printer function off or something to that effect.

as far as the AIC i am sure this portion of our system is on devicenet going to a scanner module in a SLC 505. i have tried to use the round db9 on the scanner with no luck.

please keep advise coming

ken

Last edited:
You could try changing the setting on the serial port from print to upload/download. If I recall you can change that setting in the terminal configuration screen.

If you have a keypad unit press the right and left arrow keys on the front of the terminal to access the terminal configuration.

If you have a touchscreen only version, then you have to cycle power to the PV and when you see the white flashing dot in the bottom right corner start pressing the screen.

OG

Whoooaah, there, big fella. Rein in those ponies.

The 1761-NET-AIC, also called an "AIC+" is for connection to DH485 networks. It has one 9-pin "DB9" serial connector, one 8-pin "Mini-Din" round serial connector, and a six-pin "combicon" connector for the DH485 trunkline.

The 1761-NET-DNI is for connection to DeviceNet networks. It has one 8-pin "Mini-DIN" round serial connector and a five-pin "combicon" connector for the DeviceNet network plug.

If you have a 1761-NET-AIC that is connected to a 1747-SDN, you have apples and oranges connected together. These are totally different electrical technologies and cannot (and should not) be connected in any way.

Go get some part numbers and people might be able to help. Otherwise get the PanelView User Manual and read the section on using ATA Flash memory cards to back up your PanelView configuration.

Thanks for an education

All,

Thanks for educating me on these issues. You all are correct it is using DH485. My confusion shows how much I have to learn, but you guys have given me a solid foundation to start. Thanks for all your responses. I will try to reset the printer port for upload/download if possible. If not I will give AB some more money and buy the card.

Ken

Part Numbers: They're not just for breakfast anymore

Look at the back of your PanelView terminal. There will be a part number of the format 2711-ABCD. Post that part number.

Some of the PanelView Standard terminals can have the "extra" serial port used for upload/download, and some of them use it exclusively as a printer port.

You don't need an A-B branded memory card if your firmware version 3.0 or above. A CompactFlash card (under 1 GB, so it can format as FAT16 file system) in a Type II PCMCIA carrier will happily work with the PanelView.

Serial numbers

One is a PV1000 2711-T10C9 ser. C rev. D ver. 4.2

The other is a PV1000 2711-T10C9 ser. B ver 3.13

If I can use a PCMCIA card with Compact Flash please explain the steps.

Again I am a novice with PanelViews

Ken

From your part number

2711T10.jpg

To connect to a DH485 network through the DB-9 connector on a 1761-NET-AIC via a laptop serial port you need to use a different driver (not DF-1) in RS-Links, use the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver. You can use this if you have an older laptop with a built in serial port. You will need to disable any other drivers which are using your serial port. I usually need to reboot after setting up this driver. If no serial port on your laptop, you will probably need to get ABs external USB to serial port device, that's a 1747-UIC.
Your other problem is uploading from a panel view. This was not possible on the units I am familiar with. You had to have the program to change and download.

HI KFend, and all. I have a similar problem with going online through AIC connection. I have SLC 5/05 with AIC+. AIC has DH485 connect to the pannelview 1000. SLC 5/05 has RS232 connects to AIC mini DIN port. AIC Rs232 port at the bottom left open. I tried to connect my laptop through AIC RS232. My laptop does not have serial port so I used one of the USB to RS232 converter that I bought at Fry. The RS232 cable I used was 1747-CP3. I could not get it to configure. I used DF1 RS232 driver in the RSLinx. I will try to use driver 1747-UIC as you mentioned above, but if that does not work, any other idea?
Thanks