changing distributors

jptigy

Hi, I have a 93 mitsubishi eclipse and had to recently switch out a bad distributor. The closest that I was able to find was a 90. It is an exact match except the ignition harness has different connectors. Does anyone know where I can find a free diagram of both years wiring so that I can hook up this correctly or does anyone have that information available.

The Mitsubishi products most often discussed on this forum are PLCs, not automobiles, and the Mitsubishi distributors are the people who sell them. That's not to say that there aren't any folks here who work on their own cars and might be able to answer your question. Just don't get your hopes up.

Actually, I have, in similar circumstances, availed myself of the local public library. There is a series of excellent auto repair manuals published by Chilton. They have great information. You may also want to trot over to your local NAPA parts house and pick the brain of the guy behind hte counter (but only if he has grey hair and is missing a few teeth - most of the kids don't know nothin')

If the wiring connector is different i doubt it can be used.

In these cases I cheat, I use autozone.com or partsamerica.com. You can goto either site and put in your vehicle year, make, model, engine etc and get a price for new or reman parts. What you can also do is look at the part numbers for different years or engines to see if there is a difference....usually with distributors it more than just wiring.

You did not state what size motor you had but 90 and 93 models offered 3 or more engine types with differences even when they were 2.0L.

That said I doubt you can just rewire another distributor, I would look harder on the net etc, shipping is not that much. That is assuming you do not have or want to pay the $300 for new/reman that can be obtained from Autozone, PartsAmerica, or similar.

Usually you can go to a local junkyard and they can "hotline" for a specific part and locate it and have it shipped to them, of course this may cost more.

I tried the Junkyard route when the doors on my wifes cherokee fell off one morning. Junkyard wanted 80 bucks a piece for hinges. I found out that the Dealership wanted $25.00 for new in box.
I must look like an *******.

jraef said:
Ahhh... the wonders of Googlism. He probably searched "Mitsubishi distributor" and got a hit on this website, then didn't bother to read the context.

Reading is a pre-requisite?

I think I google "Stop Light Program" and see how many hits I get for here.

I got 338 hits for "Stop Light Program plcs.net, and

I got 1090 hits for "Traffic Light Program plcs.net.

plcs.net has a powerful influence and presence in google. One day I googled my ham radio call sign, which I used to use as my ID instead of CaseyK, and I had over 1,000 hits on plcs.net. I'm down to under 500 since I changed to CaseyK. Still, the archives are there.

I have used eclipse software, on Opto-22's as I recall. I rate it somewhat close to Siemens, but still kinda user friendly.

So far, I haven't had to put any S7's into a MCC unit yet. Yet!

regards.....kc