HMI Buttons go to error after changing screens

Feathers

Hi all,

I am having an issue where some of my HMI push Buttons and Indicators go in to error when I navigate to a new screen. I am using a Micrologix 1500 with an PanelView plus 700 communicating over serial using a 1761-CBL-PM02.SER.C cable with a NULL modem. The panel view is in V5.1

When I Load the HMI all buttons and Indicators are in the correct state and can change state on the PLC end when pressed. If I navigate to a different screen then return many of the buttons and indicators show an error state. When the push buttons are pressed, they still show a change in state on the PLC end but the Button remains in error. Has anyone encountered this be for?

Thanks

Do the buttons have separate bits for Value and Indicator in their connections tab? Are there any parameters involved?

Do the buttons have separate bits for Value and Indicator in their connections tab? Are there any parameters involved?
In most of the buttons that change to an error state, the indicator value is separate from the Value bit. I am not using any parameter files. There are some that do share the same bit for the Value and Indicator that also change in to an error state.

In general, the error state showing means that the HMI is unable to determine the correct state to show. This is almost always some sort of communication issue. The fact that buttons work at all suggests it's not a general failure though, more likely something with the specific connections.

Can you give examples of what is set in the Value/Indicator for a couple of the affected buttons?

Not to insult you, but are you 100% certain that you are returning to the same screen and not a nearly identical screen with a different name?

Assuming you can modify the screen, try placing a new object on the screen. Make sure that object is on the screen when the HMI boots up and things look right. Then navigate away and back to the screen when things error. Is the new object still there?

Not to insult you, but are you 100% certain that you are returning to the same screen and not a nearly identical screen with a different name?

Assuming you can modify the screen, try placing a new object on the screen. Make sure that object is on the screen when the HMI boots up and things look right. Then navigate away and back to the screen when things error. Is the new object still there?
I have tried this and It results in the same Issue. I made a button that used the same tags as one of the buttons that goes in to error. when I navigated back to the screen the new button was still there and had also changed to an error state.

Last edited:
In general, the error state showing means that the HMI is unable to determine the correct state to show. This is almost always some sort of communication issue. The fact that buttons work at all suggests it's not a general failure though, more likely something with the specific connections.

Can you give examples of what is set in the Value/Indicator for a couple of the affected buttons?
Attached Is the Rung to activate Auto when the the PanelView Push button is pressed and the following other conditions are met. also attached is a screen shot of the Factory talk view studio connections for the Auto Button. Let me know what you think.

This issue is not just happening on this screen, when I navigate away form This screen, some buttons and indicators will go in to error. This screen is also not the start up screen. When navigating to this screen form the start up screen nothing is in error, navigating away will cause objects to change in to the error state.
1711547628302.png1711547731473.png

A coworker was able to get the error state to stop coming up by changing the bit assigned to the indicator to be in the B3 register rather then B23 Register. The bit in the PLC was also changed to match. Dose anyone know why this worked, and why it would change to an error state after changing screens before?