PICOsoft question from a newbie!

slitzell

Hi everyone - I just found this site while waiting for an answer from AB - I don't expect it'll come!
I'm a home brewer and am trying to set up a PICO 1760-L18AWA-EX, series A,Rev.A controller to run 6 solenoids on my brew system. I'm using Picosoft 6.10 and have a basic program written wit 2 timers that switch 2 soleneoids -1 on,1 off to curiculate my cleaner between 2 kettles. So far so good.
At the end of my program I reset my timers. Then the program starts over, the 1st "triggers" but it won't start "counting" - controller just sits and waits.
I'm expecting the program to continously loop - I'm I missing something?

Thanks !

Steve

I couldn't really say without seeing the program. Also, are you programming it through the LCD display on the front of the device? A-B offers a free Pico programming software that you can download from their website, the only thing you have to purchase in the communications cable. Being able to change the program on a computer is a lot esier than on the little screen they give you, it also gives you a nice way to backup any pico programs you need.

I do have the software - Picosoft v6.10 and the cable, so I'm trying to work this out on my PC. Seems like it's easy enough to use.

I've got my timers ticking away just fine, but when they complete and the program cycles back to the begining the 1st time is energized but doesn't start ticking unless I switch an input off/on.

I'd be happy to post up this program ( 24 rungs) if someone will instruct me how!

Thanks Tharon

slitzell said:
Then the program starts over, the 1st "triggers" but it won't start "counting" - controller just sits and waits.
I'm expecting the program to continously loop - I'm I missing something?
Hi Steve

The thing to remember about a PLC compared to a PC is it doesn't do one step or line at a time. Every rung is continuously scanned. You could say the program runs left to right instead of top to bottom

Insert your program as an attachment. As you are replying look below the text area you are typing in below the "Submit Reply" button and you will see the "Attach Files" button

At the end of my program I reset my timers.
By this, do you mean that the last rungs of the program reset your timers? If you are reseting your timers at the end of every scan, your timers never have time to accumulate.

Take a look at the attached program, should get you on the right track.
Whenever input-1 is true, output-1 is on for 10 seconds, output-2 is off, then output-2 is on for 10 seconds, and output-1 is off. This on/off cycle will continue until input-1 is false.

You can adjust the timers to fit your needs.

Thanks for the feed back, gentlemen!

I've attached my program ( I think!) so you can take a look at it.
I intend for it to continue to switch back & forth indefinitely - I'll creat a stop for it - probably with a 'P' button, if I can figure this out.

Ken - thanks for the sample ladder - that seems to be doing what I want!!!!! ;>} I'll see if I can implement in my program.

I sure am glad I found you guys!

You don't need the timer resets, when the preceding logic becomes false, the timers will reset anyway. I modified your code. Deleted the sets, and added a "NOT" T4 on the T1 logic rung, this will reset everything.

I personally don't like to use the sets and resets, but that's just me. Your program appears to function somewhat. Since you are using sets and resets, then when you turn off input-2, what ever is set will remain on.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thnaks Ken - that's just what I was looking for. I didn't like the set/reset either, but couldn't figure out hold to keep the contacts closed - this littlte flip/flop routine will have a lot of legs for my system!

ANother quick question - I've sending my outputs to 110V ASCO solenoids - will this PICO 1760-L18AWA handle the load and the switching OK? I'm wondering if I should be driving seperate relays from the PICO to isolate the solenoid loads.

slitzell said:
I'm a home brewer and am trying to set up a PICO 1760-L18AWA-EX, series A,Rev.A controller to run 6 solenoids on my brew system.
Ken Moore said:
I modified your code. Your program appears to function now.
The motivation people get to provide help on this website never ceases to crack me up... Good work, Ken "Will Work for Beer" Moore!

I got rid of the sets and resets, and shortened it up a bit. Still functions the same, except that now if you turn off input-2, all the outputs will go off as well.

Edit:
I Love good quality beer. I'll PM you my email address and you can send me one.
🍺

Last edited:
Ken Moore said:
I Love good quality beer. I'll PM you my email address and you can send me one.
🍺
Personally, if I program a PLC to control the brewing of beer, it's likely I'll be buying Budweiser from the corner store... What if that dang machine blows up or something?

With apologies to Groucho Marx... "I would never drink beer from a process that was running so badly because someone stooped so low as to have me program the PLC control system for it."