SLC 5/05 and PanelView Plus

RBergmann

I'm currently working on a project configured with a SLC 5/05 (1746-L551) and a PanelView Plus. Ethernet interconnection.

I make display changes (what I refer to as screen calls) on the PanelView Plus from a data register value in the PLC. With AB, you have to decide up front whether you'll use the "GoTo" button function, or change screens by using a data register. You cannot use both methods as you can with some other manufacturers.

Two issues that I'm having:

1. The response from button presses on the PanelView Plus to the PLC is incredibly slow. I recently had a project with a CompactLogix and a PanelView Plus and even thought I thought that was slow, this makes that project look like a rabbit. Is there a way to speed up the response to a button press? Or do I just have to live with it?

2. When I import the tags by importing the *.eas file from the PLC, I found that the upper limit for analog values defaults to 100. I have to use the Tags editor in RSView ME to modify this upper limit. The analog object was configured for a limit that I really wanted, but the popup keypad wouldn't transfer the value I entered to the object. As I read this, it sounds confusing, but if you've encountered it, then you might have a work around that won't require a re-edit of the analog tag limit parameters every time the *.eas file is imported.

... rab

You cannot use both methods as you can with some other manufacturers.

I disagree. As long as the remote tag you define for screen call is reset to 0 you can continue to use the standard 'Goto' buttons (i normally use a NEQ and a short timer, then reset)

Just use the 'Remote Display Number' to write to the PV+ and use 'Display Number' to read the current screen value. These are in the Global connections tab...

Rob

I have found compactlogix to a PV+ to be very quick. Check your screen update time. It is found under the screen properties from memory and has I think a 2 second default.
Regards Alan Case

Alan Case said:
I have found compactlogix to a PV+ to be very quick. Check your screen update time. It is found under the screen properties from memory and has I think a 2 second default.
Regards Alan Case
Would this explain the slow connection from the PV+ to the SLC 5/05 (current project)? I would have thought that screen update time would relate to unprompted screen refreshes, not a button push. I'll be back at the site to play with this in about an hour. The SLC 5/05 to PV+ configuration is without a doubt, the slowest that I've ever experienced (i.e. different manufacturers, similar setup). I'm thinking that the Ethernet connectivity with the SLC 5/05 is the culprit here. This was customer specified, so I didn't have any choice.

... rab

I'm thinking that the Ethernet connectivity with the SLC 5/05 is the culprit here. This was customer specified, so I didn't have any choice.

We've done several jobs using that very configuration and found them to be relatively quick o_O - not sure if you have an issue with your ethernet configuration??