Two 24 Vdc Sources Connected Together

MAHER

HI ALL
I want to ask about if i can connect two sources 24vdc together
by other wordes can i connect (-24v & +24v for supply 1) parallel on (-24v & +24v for supply 2) ?
please reply on me for that.

best regards
maher

Yes you can. You will need to isolate each power supply from the other with a diode sized large enough for the possible load through it. Some power supplies have this capability built in. You should check your with the manufacturer.

hi sir
I mean that can i connect the terminals of these supplies directely together on the same load
thanks
maher

The simple answer is no, you cannot connect then directly. As I stated before though, you can connect them if you connect the +24v terminal to a diode and the other end of the diode to the load, like this.
Code:
+24v----|>|---.------load
+24v----|>|---|

"|>|" represents the diode

Last edited:
Check the specs of your specific power supply.

In general this cannot be done with linear power supplies unless you take the precaution that testsubject listed. However, some of the switch mode power supply manufacturers don't put a restriction on paralleling their switch mode power supplies. These supplies often don't try to actively decrease their output voltage. They just don't add charge to the output if the voltage is above setpoint.

Keith

MAHER said:
NO
i didnt ask about the diod but can i feed the same load by two dc supplies
maher

YES you can connect two power supplies to the same load. That is the generic answer.

In series to get a line potential of 48 volt no problem.

In parallel with a line voltage of 24 volt
- well it may work but
you may get into problems if the droop characteristics of the power supplies dont match.

Dan Bentler

It may be overkill for what you need but we've used these before to give power supply redundancy (see below). It's a Siemens unit and also offers a monitoring signal if either primary PSU fails...

Part no. [font=Arial,Bold]
6EP1961-3BA20

PSU_Redundancy.jpg

I don't know what your ultimately trying to achieve, so this may be totally irrelevant to your application...

Rob
[/font]

This is common practice for me as I usually require redundant power supplies from 2 battery/battery charger sets. I just combine the 2 supplies through a suitably sized bridge rectifier. Do the same thing with 2 supplies from 2 switch mode power supplies as well.