FactoryTalk SE Network to PLC-5

Nick D

Hello,

Has anybody setup an OPC link between FT View SE Studio and a PLC-5?

I've set a topic in RSLinx Classic, but studio can't seem to recognise it. The ProgID has been set to 'RSLinx Remote OPC Server' in the data server setup within studio.

I realise that PLC-5 has no tag db, so how can I get address data from the processor to use in studio?

Cheers

Nick

First, how do you plan on communicating to the PLC-5? If DH+, what card is going into the PC? PKTX, PCMK?

Also, are you using a Distributed (Network) application or a Standalone?

When you mention RSLinx Remote OPC Server that implies that you have a separate computer that has RSLinx Classic Gateway edition installed and that you have a Client PC that will be accessing this data remotely.

Is this right?

OG

Hi Operaghost,

We are using a serial interface via a virtual port set up using our Ethernet connection (serial-Ethernet adaptor). This has been the way we program the device as we don't have an ethernet card in the rack..it's an old system that was put in place around 20yrs ago.

Our old control view PC sits on DH, but it will probably fall over in the near future.

We are in the process of upgrading to a ControlLogix, but we would like to have the HMI replaced before we upgrade the hardware. I realise that serial is very slow, but it will do as a temporary measure because the process we are controlling is slow, i.e. ramping temperatures in ovens over a 36 hr period.

We are using FT as a standalone but are setting it up as a network application so that the developers can access and test it from their offices..this is why I have set the OPC to remote, as was instructed in the procedure manual when using Linx Classic (i.e. remote from the 'client' point of view since we'll be running the client from the developer's PC on occasion). We are using the standard Classic that was shipped with copies of Logix. All PCs involved have this installed.

A bit of a mouthful I know, but I hope it answers you questions.

Cheers

Nick

So for the moment forget about FT View.

Can you use RSLinx from the "remote" or "client" station and browse to the PLC-5?

If that has been successful and as you said, you have an OPC topic created, are you able to connect to the PLC using the Rockwell Software Live Data Client and see valid data landing? This is a great tool for testing OPC comminications.

If this doesn't work then FT View won't work either.

OG

OG,

I can browse the PLC using RSWho from any machine with Classic, remote or local if that's what you mean, and there are topics set up, but it won't even register in live data client.

Does the topic name have to be the same as the program on the processor? When I made them the same, it seemed to make some sort of connection but said it was unhealthy then it was lost.

Would it have something to do with CPR versions? Because FT I'm using is 9 and Linx Classic is CPR 5.

Is there a version of Classic that conforms to CPR 9?

I'm finding it a bit frustrating because Rockwell support has claimed that all I need to communicate with PLC-5s is RSLinx Classic.

In any case, how do you target particular addresses in legacy systems if they have no tag db, should a working connection via OPC show a list of used addresses in the HMI tag db within FT View (i.e. N10:176 etc..)? I've refreshed the folders but still nothing.

I'm probably doing something fundamentally wrong, but it's hard to tell because I'm following what I think to be the instructions. I've looked up info in Knowledgebase and adhered to instructions such as configuring a new device driver with no alteration to the default name, as instructed by the tech note..

Nick

Have you actually configured an OPC topic in RSLinx for the PLC5? That is the topic that View would have to use to see it, and where the comms path would be set up.

Yes I have, thanks.

The problem has been sorted out. It ended up being a CPR issue, but it turns out that although Classic 2.52 (CPR 9) falls within the coordinated release, this version of Classic is seen by FT View SE 5.00 as an RSView product, not FT. Classic versions 2.53 or higher are considered, in raw software terms, FT, and thus the OPC topics became visible.

A point of interest though, particularly in regard to OG's comments, is that although it works fine in View software, it doesn't seem to work in Data Client..

Thanks guys

Nick

Hi ,
I am facing issue communication betweeen F View CPR 9 SR3 and PLC 5 data comunication is very slow, like to update 1 tag from FT View SE to PLC 5 it will take 5 to 7 seconds where as in older rs view 32 project it will take 1 to 2 seconds to update any help will be great
Thanks
Talha

Last edited: