Changing Jobs

Brien100

Hello all, I have a question. I am in the process of changing from a Manufacturing PLC Programmer to a Switchgear PLC Programmer. It looks like an entire new world of control and in ways looks easier than integrating Robotics, Servo drive, PLC, HMI and associated controls. It is completely different hardware and was wondering if anybody here has experience with this type of control and what the major differences in programming will be (if any).

I should add.....

I should add that these are large systems with multiple switches, motor controlled transfer switching with dual battery system backups(sometimes two seperate Utility Sources and various generator control). What about SCADA, I never had to use SCADA in any of my 13 years of Industrial Manufacturing programming experience. How will SCADA integrate with SLC, Compactlogix and/or Control Logix processors.

The subject of SCADA integration could take up many volumes. My experience has been that in a system with SCADA, your PLC may share data with a SCADA computer directly in a smaller system. In larger systems, a separate PLC is used to communicate with the peripheral PLCs including yours. In this case, the so-called master PLC will use messaging instructions to read and write data to your PLC. On the Control/CompactLogix platform, they may use produced/consumed to exchange data.

I now work for a utilities on the generation side. The SCADA/Substation is handled by a different group and they have their own jargons and method that's very different than the typical automation world. For example, they are still using 8-bit protocal than needs to be "reassembled" at the destination. SCADA have quite a different meaning there. RTU seems to be the PLC of their world but I do see more PLC these days.

You also have to know the Power side of EE, which I assume you are a EE. You need that to know how to manage the switchgear, capacity loading, etc..

Good Luck

Hi... I used to work in industrial automation, and i am now in switch gear manufacturing, it is true that you do not do scada project, usually a subcontractor does that, and your work will be restricted with panels manufacturing and paper work.The only thing is what you said about generators and transformers in what is called ATS (automatic transfer Schemes), there you might use PLC as many times you can install ready made devices. i guess thats the only place.Its much easier, many times boring, not many qualified people work inside, and mostly no adventures and brain storming thoughts... specially if you like PLCs and programming.Good luck

I work for myself and do the lot - design, build (sometimes with very competent subbies), PLC program and SCADA.
I hate working with 'committees' by the way - spend most of your time sending each other spread sheets.
Basically, control is control. You need to fully understand the process and plan your project out very carefully.
The great thing about moving into a different field is that you have to think, ask and learn.
I find, generally, that a new type of control system only stimulates my mind these days and I have to investigate and prepare properly. Have never had a chgallenge that has beaten me yet.
Good luck, learning is one of the great joys of life.
By the way, do not think that it will always be easier than your previous job. There will really be many things to learn. For example, I can assure you putting 2 supplies togather that are not synchronised can make a huge explosion - far more of a mess and a lt more expensive to fix than a busted bracket or something on a machine.
I have never done it but one day I saw a programmer smash 2 large generators (4.1 megawatts, 11kV each) out of synch. The 2 generators moved substantially, one ripped of it's mountings andf actually tipped partially over! We all thought it was going to do the full roll onto it's side! The cost to fix the job sent the contractor broke very quickly! Added to that the electrical and mechanical stresses on the 2 machines was substantial.