Analog Input/Output Simulation software

Irish

Hi all! I am working on devoloping a PLC program with limited PLC experience. The machine is relatively simple pressure testing machine, with 6 digital inputs, and one analog 4-20ma input. It has 9 digital outputs, and one analog 4-20ma output. I also want to include a Panelview, but I'll do that at a later date..right now I'm focusing on the PLC.

I have RSlogix 500 software, but am new to it. I downloaded logixPro 500 software to practice with before I write the actual program. My problem is that it does not do analog inputs or outputs, and this is the main part that I am fuzzy about. Is there any training software I could use to familiarize myself with this?

I know I could just write the program in RSLogix 500, but I do not have the PLC on had yet, and as stated, I'm very new to this...I've been using the LogixPro software to test my program literally rung by rung.

Sorry for the long winded post, and thanks in advance for all your help!

I believe that RSLogix500 Emulate is now a free download:
http://www.ab.com/linked/programmablecontrol/plc/micrologix/downloads.html
(About the middle of the page)

You can use RSLogix500 Emulate as a virtual PLC...then go ahead and start writing your program with RSLogix500.

Note that RSLogix500 Emulate will not emulate PID loops and has a handful of other minor limitations.

There is also a quick start guide for setting up the emulator driver, starting RSLogix500 Emulate and setting it up to run the program.

One neat feature with RSLogix500 Emulate, is that you can create Debug files (both data files and ladder files) that will run only when opened by RSLogix500 Emulate, and you can leave them in your program. When you download the file to a real PLC, those debug files are skipped.

You can use the debug files to simulate what the machine is supposed to do...
For example, if you turn on output O:1/3 "Thingy Extend", in a debug file, you can put logic that will turn on input I:4/7 "Thingy Extended Limit Switch" after a few seconds have elapsed using a debug file timer T150:5...

I have used debug files to help emulate PID loops when I want to test a program that contains them, and also to fake out communications logic that won't run correctly in RSLogix500 Emulate.

EDIT: I am not sure if the free software in the link above will emulate all the processors, or only those supported by the Micro Starter Edition...this might be dependent on what license you have for RSLogix500. If you find it works with (for example) a SLC5/05, let us know!

Paul

Last edited:
Thanks very much! I've already downloaded the emulate software, but didn't consider it because of the lack of support for PID loops. The debug file is a great idea that I had not thought of. I appreciate your input! :)

If your program needs PID loops, be aware that even using debug files to simulate the action of them could be tricky, so your best bet there is going to be to get folks with RSLogix500 experience to look at the logic to see if there are coding errors and be prepared to re-tune them when you get hooked up to real equipment.

I am at home without RSLogix500, so I can't look at your rss file in the other thread, but I will take a glance at it tomorrow when I am at work.

Good Luck!
Paul

Being as I've never used PID loops before, I expect I'll have to get someone look at these when I'm done. This is going to be a long project for me, (took me an hour how to make my enable light flash in the program for the other thread) but I relish the learning experience. Your input is at least putting me on the right track of things I must research.

Snip...

EDIT: I am not sure if the free software in the link above will emulate all the processors, or only those supported by the Micro Starter Edition...this might be dependent on what license you have for RSLogix500. If you find it works with (for example) a SLC5/05, let us know!

Paul

I converted Irish's program he posted in the other thread to use a 1747-L553C 5/05 processor and 7 slot rack. It works just fine with the Free RSEmulate500 software.