new driver in rslinx won't work

hewilson425

Hey Guys,
I'm trying to add a new Ethernet/IP driver to RSLinx but it won't show up in the configured drivers list. I'm using RSLinx Classic 2.54 and RSLogix 5000 v.16.00. The module I'm trying to talk to is a 1756-ENBT/A 4.0......HELP!!!!

Hey Guys,
I'm trying to add a new Ethernet/IP driver to RSLinx but it won't show up in the configured drivers list. I'm using RSLinx Classic 2.54 and RSLogix 5000 v.16.00. The module I'm trying to talk to is a 1756-ENBT/A 4.0......HELP!!!!

That is very strange. Do you already have another EtherI/P driver config'd? If so, your new one will have to have a unique name, but RSLinx should automatically assign one for you...
I don't know if there is a maximum # of drivers you can have installed, I have run as many as 7 at one time without any problems.

One thing you can try is adding an Ethernet Devices driver instead of an I/P. See if it is just something about that type of driver that your Linx has a problem with.

Sorry that I can't be of more help. Have you tried calling Tech Support?

My first guess is that it might be a permissions problem; are you logged in as an Administrator on this computer ? What OS and service pack are you running ?

This is especially likely if this is the first driver you're configuring on a fresh installation.

A newer RSLinx Classic installation (up to version 2.59) ought to be compatible with RSLogix 5000 version 16.

Also; upgrade to version 16.03 of RSLogix 5000. There were a handful of issues you'll want to avoid with 16.00. Version 16.03 will still program all v16.x controllers.

Driver itself is not showing up ? That is strange. As suggested try adding ethernet driver instead of ehternet ip driver.

Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the replies. I got it to work by updating my RSLinx to 2.58. Where can I get the RSLogix 16.03? I have noticed a problem with uploading programs written in v.15.xx
Thanks again

Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the replies. I got it to work by updating my RSLinx to 2.58. Where can I get the RSLogix 16.03? I have noticed a problem with uploading programs written in v.15.xx
Thanks again

16.03 won't solve your problems uploading V15 programs.

You need to install V15 to support that.

Nope.

RSLogix 5000 launches a different editor for each Major Revision of firmware. Versions 10 through 20 can be installed on the same computer, and typically when you get the product DVD you have an option to "install all".

For version 15 controllers, you need RSLogix 5000 v15. For version 16 controllers, you need RSLogix 5000 v16. And so on.

You can "migrate forward" easily; if you try to open a version 15 project with RSLogix 5000 v16, it will convert the program to v16.

But you can't "migrate backward".

It sounds to me like you're using RSLogix 5000 for the first time, and found a five-year-old DVD with version 16.00 on it (which should have been produced for a window of about a month).

This Forum has a lot of experienced ControlLogix users, so ask away with general questions as well as specifics. The more information you can provide (the original issue was probably Windows version-specific) the better.

I am a first time user of RSLogix 5000 and I do appreciate the help I've already gotten here. I'm fairly well versed in RSLogix 500 but I have recently started work with a company that is using a good bit of ControlLogix based equipment so I'm trying to pick up what I can as quick as I can

You can "migrate forward" easily; if you try to open a version 15 project with RSLogix 5000 v16, it will convert the program to v16.

just to clarify this...

if you try to open a revision 15 project with RSLogix 5000 v16, it will offer to convert the program to v16. You will not be able to go "online" to the revision 15 controller, nor will you be able to download to the controller without updating the controller firmware revision to v16

but, if you have multiple revisions installed on your pc, then the correct revision (editor) will be opened (switched to) when you open the project file.

Providing you are "in support" for the revision you are licensed for, you can download and install any other revisions.

I'm having a similar problem on a Dell with XP, SP3. I can add any driver I wish in RSlinx Classic Professional except anything ethernet related. If I click on an ethernet driver, nothing shows in the driver list. I have tried uninstalling and upgrading to RSlinx Classic Lite to different versions, 2.48, 2.57, 2.58, deleted Harmony files, pinged out the port to PLCs on the network, turned off firewall, etc with no success. The ethernet port works fine with other software, I'm logged in as Administrator, I can talk DF-1 and DH-485 drivers to Slc and Compacts via the USB serial port thru either a conveter or 1747-UIC but nothing related to ethernet because it won't allow me to add ethernet drivers. The driver works on my older Dell running XP but I'm trying to transition to this new machine. Any ideas, any one seen this before?

Welcome to the Forum!
Just a side note: A six months old topic revival will return lesser results than a fresh one.
Back to your issue...
What type of Linx driver are we "talking" about?...Ethernet or EtherNet/IP?
Does your machine's NIC adapter have a static IP Address?
If it does, are the "missing" devices on the connected network on the same subnet and carrying static IP Addresses and disabled BOOTP features? (The devices' IP Addresses first three octets should be identical to the Linx running PC NIC adapter IP Address and the BOOTP embedded features are disbled).
RSLinx Ethernet type drivers will "default discover" only addresses located on the same virtual subnet.
If the subnet to be browsed is "remote", you will have to add the known IP Addresses of the devices "to be seen" within the Linx driver's Properties "IP Address stack" (Right-Click the network attached to the driver, pick Properties and then Add the respective IP Addresses).

Either Ethernet driver will not "add" to the list. When you select the driver it does not show up on the driver list along with the other two drivers I added and tested (serial and DH-485). Static address on the NIC, disabled BootP.

So you are running Linx 2.58, correct?
What is the PC's OS?
The minimum supported within is WinXP Pro SP3 32-bit .