Fail to communicate using 1756-cp3

Densam

Can someone help i do not seem to communicate with the 1756 l55 processor. saying node could not found. Created new project and configured i/o module. Created a frew rungs. Cofigured driver for RS232 DF1 Device but coming with an error failed to communicate, node could not be found

When you use the Who Active are you able to see the Controller?

A common mistake people make is selecting "Download" before they select to which controller they are going to download. That results in the error message you jut described.

Go to the Who Active window, select your DF1 driver and then select your L55 controller. Then choose Download.

OG

when i go communication -who active there is my workstation AB_DF1-1Project flashing that is seeing the processor below that its showing 00, workstation, DF1-COM1 and when i click onto this at the bottom says path in project none. The download buttons are greyed out. Basically RSlinx is not seeing the controller. My controller key is on Prog RS232 light is red Controller ok light is red i/os are flashing green oks

RS232 light is red Controller ok light is red

Please include crucial information like that in your first post.

The RS-232 LED is generally either OFF or blinking green. There's no "solid red" listed in the controller diagnostics because it's a very uncommon total failure mode.

If you have pulled the battery and cycled power, but the red RS-232 and OK LEDs persist, then the controller is damaged and must be replaced.

when i go communication -who active there is my workstation AB_DF1-1Project flashing that is seeing the processor below that its showing 00, workstation, DF1-COM1 and when i click onto this at the bottom says path in project none. The download buttons are greyed out. Basically RSlinx is not seeing the controller. My controller key is on Prog RS232 light is red Controller ok light is red i/os are flashing green oks

Have you checked in RSLinx? Not RSL5k?
If you auto configure the DF1 driver in RSLinx, does it complete successfully?

Try removing ALL the other modules in the chassis (you can do this with power on, and you only need to disconnect them from the backplane - about an inch will do it)....

With the processor only in the chassis, turn its keyswitch rapidly through all positions at least twice...

Does this remove the red Controller OK led status ?

If not, try this with the controller in another slot, or another chassis/backplane assembly if you have one around (NB. You SHOULD to be able to safely plug this module into any unused slot in any chassis, even if it is running a system... although if it is a hardware failure on the module, it could potentially interfere with backplane comms... Safest is to shut down or suspend activity on the working system to a safe state !!)

If, after having done as Ken suggested (remove from chassis, and remove battery, leave for a few minutes), and the processor powers up again with a solid red controller light, then I would concur it does indeed sound like a failed module.

Last edited:
I am stuck then there is no way i can purchace a new one probably send it for repair that has killed my learning. I donot know what to do. Thanks alot gents. This was my first communication and have a feel of playing with control logix.

Done the auto confige in RSlinx that came with the messege failed, removed all other modules flicked the switch as Daba said still red light on. Powered down removed battery for sometime replaced powered done the switch still no joy

Is this a used controller you got surplus ? RA hasn't built the -L55 in about 7 years.

There was a "product service advisory" for a backplane chip defect on the 1756-L55 controllers several years ago. Maybe 1% of the units in the field failed, and RA did an aggressive campaign to contact users and get the controllers checked or remanufactured.

Every once in a while defective units still show up in the aftermarket, and get into the hands of folks who want to use them for training or for spares.

Its a used controller was working on a four slot chasiss. When i lost a chasiss i took it took it to the plant. So when i bough another chasiss i tried to do learning projects time to connect to controller failed hence questions on this forum

When i lost a chasiss i took it took it to the plant.
Has it worked after taking it to the plant and just (recently) failed?
Or you never did get to power up and verify after the chassis malfunction?
Is it possible that the chassis going nuts took the CPU with it somehow?

A chasiss in the plant failed took the one i was using with this contoller to replace the failed. The plant worked so this chasiss had no back plane for some time till a few days when i wanted to do some practice. Got a new bakplane powered up all red lights