A few questions concerning industrial standards for independent contractors.

DMooty

To start things off, let me explain my situation. I'm currently a 23 year old Electrical Technology student at a 2 year college in Alabama. I have an immense natural proficiency for designing circuits. While I believe it may be more prudent to pursue electrical installation experience in the beginning, implementing logic in the design of circuits is not only more interesting to me, but seemingly entails larger salaries with more recession-resilient demand. I have received instruction concerning analog components (such as physical relays and timers), instrumentation transmitters and controllers, distribution systems, and motor controls. I would very much like to end up with my own business, implementing logic circuits for both residential and commercial automation.

So, I have a few questions about the general attitudes in industry concerning independent contractors:

1. Are independently contracted PLC programmers generally former employees who started contracting after gaining experience and reputation?

2. Would an independent contractor in PLC programming be at a disadvantage, assuming all other things are equal, if they had not previously worked for a reputable company? If so, would this be likely to cause a loss of business?

I'm posting this from my phone and it's difficult to type large posts. I may have more questions as the discussion progresses.

In my experience in industry I work in:

#1 - yes 100%

#2 - experience counts, the more the better. Loss? probably never had it to start with. Any more, when I come in to a customer for start-up and debugging a machine, they're already running late because of mechanical issues and the pressure is on the programmer to make up time - this is where the experience really helps.

I have a working relationship (we share and trade projects) with a younger guy in west Michigan and he's probably got 12 years in - he's usually doing robot updates. The rest I work with are 50+ and have 25+ years in.

PS: right or wrong, machine builders like to see age and they associate that with experience

Last edited:
If you know a independent contractor ask he/she if they ever need extra help to consider you for the overflow. As a IC I sometimes wish I had a way to get through the busy times (but its not enough to hire someone part-time, just a few hours here or there). You'll gain knowledge and experience.

Take that degree and go to work in the largest manufacturing plant you can find. I started in a tire plant which proved invaluable for two reason:
1. They sent me to a well developed industrial maintenance tech school for a year @$25/hr. You may not need this, but I did. As a high graduate with math and programming aptitude, I needed basic electrical and mechanical training at that time.

2. Exposed me to some of the most amazing and varied technology imaginable where I could examine and occasionally improve the cumulative work of a hundred year old company's experts. Some of my best skills were grown by studying what others had already done well and right, laying hands on it, making repairs, adjustments and modifications.

There, you will gain experience and contacts in your field. In addition, even if you think you are hot schmidt, you will never be any good unless you can turn tools at all levels and at least have a fair idea what you are doing.

Last edited:
I remember when I first started as an instrumentation tech at the steel mill. The old timers there told me that I would learn more in my first six months; than I did in my two years of schooling. They where correct. The other piece of advice, they gave, is that if you can find someone who is good, and willing to teach you, latch on to him, and suck up everything you can.

I think that the reality of it is, school is only the beginning of your experience, and you don't really know what you can do yet though it sounds as if you are off to a good start. Your projects in school, while they may seem unguided, are actually very structured. Another thing to consider as a contractor, is quoting... Do you have enough experience yet, to know how long a job is going to take? How long is it going to take someone with experience?

My recommendations is to find a position, where you can learn. Ideally, it will be with someone who knows what they are doing, but will also let you struggle through a project on your own. It may be a plant, or it may be working for a contractor.

Advantages to working for a contractor: More projects, fast work pace, large variety of projects. Disadvantages - fast work pace, a lot less patience for a struggling beginner. Deadlines are due, and budgets are tight.

Advantage to working for a factory: More time to tinker, can work closely with an experienced peer. Disadvantages - Process specific experience, requires you to learn on your own initiative more (when everything is running, and you have time) You will run into less problems, as the main time to troubleshoot is when things are down.

I agree whole-heartedly with OkiePC, I started my career as an Industrial Mechanic 20years ago and started doing controls troubleshooting and PLC programming about 4 years ago. Not a day goes by that I'm not amazed at the stuff I still need to learn.
A large manufacturing plant can give you experience with older and newer technology which will be a real asset when you get out on your own in the 'world' and the pressure is on.
I also suggest using this forum not only to ask questions but also look at the questions posted by other people and see what challenges others are having. That is really informative too.

you should start working for a small automation firm like i do, you will face new problems, software, plc, hmi and drive every week. you will also learn a lot faster than you can do in any factory. Majority of small factory will call externe firm like mine when they have plcs problem.

i think it's the best job to learn fast and to one day lead you to become an independent contractor.

you should start working for a small automation firm like i do, you will face new problems, software, plc, hmi and drive every week. you will also learn a lot faster than you can do in any factory. Majority of small factory will call externe firm like mine when they have plcs problem.

i think it's the best job to learn fast and to one day lead you to become an independent contractor.

My endgame is to own my own company specializing in home automation.

Thanks to everyone for your input!

I also suggest using this forum not only to ask questions but also look at the questions posted by other people and see what challenges others are having. That is really informative too.

Totally agree, the amount of questions I now have bookmarked is scary.

Experience is key in your case. If a person has a decent base education, they already have accomplished much. And troubleshooting gets you good experience. The job I learned the most was a place that could not keep maintenance people, and didn't pay well. Everything was always 'broke down' in there. So many things to learn from a place like that !
If you take a job in a place of that sort, make a goal to stay for, but leave at end of 3 yrs.
Another aspect you should develop is keeping calm under pressure.
I would liken it to sitting in your house, on fire, smoke, with sirens wailing outside, people screaming, your ability to sit and think "its five steps to an outside door, which direction is that from right here".