Wiring question: Discrete 24VDC outputs w/intrinsic safety barrier

FSEIPEL

A small part of our plant uses safety barriers. I've read up on these. Our outputs on an existing I/O cabinet with MTL 7728+ barriers have worked for years. We recently upgraded. The new I/O card, is not working with 7728+ barriers. The old I/O card is a 32 point sourcing type. The new I/O card is a 16 point sinking type. Field devices are solenoids for both the old working 32 point card and the non-working 16 point card.

It isn't completely clear to me whether 7728+ can be used with a sinking output card; what I've seen so far is it switches all outputs when I fire one, or switches none. Any help appreciated.

The barriers separate the intrinsic safety zone from the safe zone. The MTL 7728+ is a polarized variety and as your old IO card was sourcing type. The new sink won't work without rewiring the barrier but by re wiring you will contravene the Functional safety. You are into the functional safety realm be careful.
The 7728+ can also be used for analog outputs. If this is a digital output then it should be source type in the safe area if 0V is referenced to ground. I would seriously consider changing the I/O card to source - easiest. If the barriers are rewired or changed then a functional safety must be redone on the entire loop. Other option is to get hold of MTL and ask for advise they will make sure whatever you do, no safety is compromised. Good luck!

polarity
Barriers may be polarised + or –, or non-polarised (‘ac’). Polarised
barriers accept and/or deliver safe-area voltages of the specified
polarity only. Non-polarised barriers support voltages of either polarity
applied at either end.

The above from the MTL website.
The model 7728+ is polarised.

Last edited:
Thanks for the rapid response. Yes, these are discrete 24VDC outputs. I figured we needed to use sourcing output cards & appreciate you confirming this. This was overlooked in the design/specification phase when the 16 output card was specified. Most of this plant is non-hazardous, only one building has I/S barriers, so this issue has not arisen in past. I only realized card was sinking during commissioning when poring over its specifications. This is on a Honeywell HC900 Hybrid Controller control system. There is only one common for every 8 output points, that is why it would fire all outputs (the two commons are joined together on the 16 output card). It seems to me it's impossible to simply reverse positive and negative as the instrumentation engineer recommended, because the junction can't switch that way (i.e. I cannot make a PNP card an NPN card or vice versa, simply by flipping wires around).

Also, I'd like to avoid all these wires from I/O cards to barriers, does any vendor offer a Modbus I/O card with integral barriers that is not exorbitantly expensive? If it had individual output fusing, that would be even better.

Last edited: