AB 1769-HSC

I think 1746-HSTP1 (Stepper Controller Module) will be the card for your application.

Yes I suspect it is more along the lines of what i need, how ever I am looking to stay in the Compactlogix relm at this point.

I would like to think that I am not first person who wants to do stepper control with the Compactlogix/Micrologix 1500 platform.

Ok, I'm gonna stick my neck out, it usually gets cut off but here goes,
Can I use the outputs on the 1769-HSC modual to send Direction and Pulse to a Stepper Motor Drive?

I don't see why not as long as the signal levels are compatable. I have used a simple I/O card to do what your asking about. The limitations for this are speed. If you require high speed action from the stepper then you will be limited on the speed of the PLC scan. Why not use the drive, as you stated above that you have a drive or is it just a dumb amplifier card? Most of the drives out on the market have self contained programming features. I have used an I/O card for movement but the speed was still to slow. I ended up using the serial port of the stepper drive and the plc, and just sent ascii commands to the drive for the motion I wanted.

bitmore

Well I can certianly try that. At the moment I have a dumb card, but I should be able procure a smart one. For a stepper I am sure that the seiral would be ok as I would only be sending data and not recieving

I have just recently done a demo using a unitronics plc where I controled an Emerson Ei-203 Servo using the modus port. I found that my responce time for controlling the servo using encoder posion feedback was to slow.

Allan,

If you are using the Micro 1500 , there are versions with High Speed FET outputs that High Speed Pulse outputs for stepper motors.

Also the Micro1500 has PTO function files for the purpose of defining and controlling the acel/decel pulse rates up to 20kHz, independent of scan.

Using CompactLogix is a different story...currently there is a 1769-HSC 4ch High Speed Input module, but no equivalent of the 1746-HSTP for high speed outputs.

I respectfully suggest that using a standard I/O card will result in very dissapointing results unless your application is particuarly slow or coarse.

I will Likely be going with the 1500 with the built in high speed FET. The problem is that I need more than 2. Generaly I need 3, on a system and up to six in some aplications.

I have found a Stepper modual from AMCI, however it only does one channel.

Hopefully I can get my hands one one start playing with it.

I need to get the HSC modual for quadature on some DC motors in system and was hoping, that the 4 outputs on this modual could be used for micro stepping. (Wishfull thinking I know)

Last edited: