newbie trying to make adjustments to a MicroLogix 1000

pantrwrstl

Hello all,

I am working on a remediation system for my work which is controlled by an Allen-Bradley SLC50X interface and The PLC is an AB Micrologix A-B, Model 1761-L16AWA. The system is currently programmed to shut the system down due one of a few alarms being tripped, as well as control which valves are open to allow airflow to a manifold. It is currently designed to have two valves open and one closed, to which you can set a timer for how long they do each. I need to reprogram it to gain better control of the valves so that we can have one, two, or all three open at the same time. This thing was programmed originally in like 1996 and I understand that the DPS software for this (2707-NP) is no longer available.

I found this software from Spectrum online, but it says I do not have the correct version of windows. I also downloaded RSLogix Micro Starter Lite from Rockwell, but have no idea how to use it.

I also purchased this cable from Amazon to connect my laptop to the Allen-Bradley interface.

so question time:

1. Will that cable work to allow me to transfer the application from the interface to my computer to allow me to modify it, and then reinstall it onto back into it.

2. How hard is the RSLogix program to use if I can get the data off the PLC? Are there any easier or more straightforward programs I could try?

I guess those are the big two for now, but I am sure there will be plenty more. Any info or help on which direction to go would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hi and Welcome to the Forum,
Do you have a copy of the original program? The PLC's that use RSLogix 500 do not save the comments and other program documentation in the PLC. It is saved as part of the .RSS file on the programming computer. So if you get connected to the PLC you will be able to upload the program but none of the comments that help you figure out how the program is suppose to work.

The cable you will need is the 1761-CBL-PM02 cable. One of the forum members has a web site that sells these cables. It is www.plccable.com. I would check out his web site for a cable. It is much less than a AB cable.

I love AB stuff but they do make things more difficult than they should be. Getting communications between your PC and the PLC is going to be the hardest part.

I would start looking up PLC training videos on Youtube. Ron Beaufort another Forum Member has some really good videos on there. Once you get a good idea on how to plug into the PLC and establish communications with it, you will be in a good place.

Then come back and post what you have done and we should be able to help.

Thanks for the response. The program appears to have been lost since it was written almost 20 years ago. We are trying to find it somewhere, but it likely not promising. After reading some of the user manual I was under the impression that it was possible to download and upload the application programs to and from the interface. I have the 1761-CBL-PM02 cable that goes from the Allen-Bradley interface to the MicroLogix 1000 already. The cable I was curious about was the RS-232 to USB cable I bought on Amazon and whether that would allow the data transfer I need. I'll check out some youtube videos and check back if I make any progress. Thanks again.

You can certainly upload and download the files to/from the devices.

You should refer to the DTAM manual : http://www.spectrumcontrols.com/pdfs/soi/DPS_Manual.pdf
This is available from the site where you found the software. The DPS software appears to require DOS 3.2 - you may be able to run it with an XP machine at a command prompt.

And don't forget that unlike upload (from your PC) to the internet, you will be uploading from the device TO your PC. Vice versa for the download.

As Danatomega pointed out you can Upload the current program in the PLC. The problem is you don't get any of the comments about the how the program works or even what each program element is.

See below I attached a couple of screen shots of what I am talking about. The first one has no comments or any documentation at all. It is very hard to read because you don't know what the B3:x/x or N7:x represent.

after that is a screen shot of a more documented program. It makes it much easier to understand what is going on. Also makes it much easier to edit and change.

The point I am trying to make here is that as a new programmer you have taken on a very complicated task. You will have to look at the "base" program and try and figure out how it works and what you need to change to make it work the way you want. So just be ready for that.

Good luck!!

no comments.jpg comments.jpg

Thanks guys. The good news is after my initial post I sent an email out to a few people that were originally in on the project detailing what I had done so far and apparently it got into the hands of someone who was slightly offended we hadn't spoken to him first. He made a phone call to my boss asking why I was ordering stuff and trying do the work without involving him. Apparently, the original recipient of the email at our other office was a bit lazy and never bother to ask anyone else, but they have all the cables and software needed, and they may have even found the original program. They are going to coordinate a time when I can meet up with them and they will teach me first hand how to do the programming and operate the software. I am still probably going to mess around with the system tomorrow a little bit by myself until they figure out when they're going to teach me just to see what it might be like. Thanks for the info so far though, all good to know.

If you’re looking to program the MicroLogix 1000 you need RSLogix 500 or RSLogix Micro Starter Lite. Given that RSLogix Micro Starter Lite is free I’m guessing that’s the one to get. You can get it via the link below and I’m also guessing you’ll need RSLinx as well (you need RSLinx to connect to the MicroLogix 1000 and RSLogix Micro Starter to program it). In the link below, select the third option (RSLinx Lite Software – needed for online programming). I believe that’s the bundled package that has both software packages.
Once you have that, the online videos are very good at showing you what you need to do to get started.
http://www.rockwellautomation.com/global/support/plc/micrologix.page