1769-L35E LEd status

The red X is both bad news and good news.

The bad news is that it means that RSLinx can't communicate with the controller at all. It's a timeout.

The good news is that this means there's probably nothing wrong with RSLinx or the EDS files !

If you can connect to the CompactLogix over RS-232 and bridge through to the Ethernet daughtercard, verify the IP address, the subnet mask, and the default gateway. Post those along with the IP address of your PC, and its subnet mask, and its default gateway, and we'll have a discussion about IP subnetting.

There's always something new to learn; I spent today working on a 20-bit subnet (instead of the usual 24-bit) but my browser won't see anything that's not on the same 24-bit mask as my PC. Weird.

Don't literally type "xxx.yyy.zzz.www", but rather the IP address of the controller you're pinging: "192.168.0.10" or whatever it really is.

PING is also a good way to explore the use of name resolution. Type, for example, "PING www.plctalk.net".

Tip for command prompt use: Right-click on the blue title bar at the top of the window and select Edit -> Select All, then just hit Enter. This copies all the text in the Command Prompt.

Then you can Control-V to paste the contents of the window into a text editor or into an e-mail or a Forum posting.

Use "CLS" to clear the command prompt so you can copy and paste just the command results you want to show.

Type "IPCONFIG /ALL" to show the IP configuration of your computer. I think your PC must not have the right configuration, or there's something wrong with the configuration you put into the CompactLogix. Let's start with the easy part, your PC.

The basic problem is apparent: the IP address of the controller is on a different IP subnet than your computer.

I have never used a 1394 Network Adapter. You might want to also just connect to one physical network adapter.

The subnet mask value of "255.255.255.0" indicates that the first 24 bits of the IP address (that's three octets) need to be identical.

But you have two different subnets:

and

The simple thing to do is to change the IP address of your computer to 192.168.34.150, and it will be on the same subnet as the CompactLogix.

And there I go Ken I don’t know how to thank you. Obviously I need to take some good courses so someone can teach me some basics. Thanks again. If it wouldn't be too much to ask can you recommend some goo material to read on. I have searched wiki and there is a quite a bit to read, so I’ll just start there

linx.jpg

I've learned more from one funny-named website than I have from the stack of reference books on my shelf: www.lovemytool.com. It's a Wireshark fan site and you'll find a great deal of very useful fact and opinion about Ethernet, TCP/IP, their favorite analysis tool, Wireshark.