9 wire motors

corkers

Morning all,

There have been discussions on this forum re identifying unlabelled leads comming from a motor's windings. ie for star delta starting arrangements...

I have seen six wires and understand the arrangements for star delta (or before anyone says it wye delta) however I have never seen nine wires coming from the windings... Is this a two speed arrangement??

I would appreciate if someone could take the time to explain or point me in the right direction.

Most 9 wire motors are dual voltage, 3 phase, single speed.
i.e. - 240 or 480 volt

HOWEVER!!!
Not all 9 wire motors are wired the same, or dual voltage.

Without the specific wiring diagram for that particular motor I wouldn't touch it - too many chances for something to blow-up.

If their is a wiring plate does it show Low Voltage and High Voltage schematics?

Does the data plate on the motor show something like: Voltage 240/480 Amps 12/6

If there are no data plates on the motor I would take it to a motor rebuilder to investigate or scrap it out.

BTW Star/Delta defines motor wiring, Wye/Delta is the type of power coming in from the electric utility.

Last edited:
40b7f38f34d80dba.gif

This supports the typical Low Voltage / High Voltage scheme.

cnrservices

You misunderstand, this is general enquiry not a speific one I have yet to come across any nine wire motors... the question was just to satisfy my curiousity.

With regards to Star/Delta vs Wye/Delta we dont use the term Wye at all except when talking to our American friends...

Have not come across 9 wire dual voltage personally but have certainly had 9 wire 2 speed motors on jobs from time to time. If the leads are not marked very clearly, can be very difficult to work out.

WYE is not a very common term in Australia but when dealing with generators and controllers it is very common. This includes generators and controllers from all over the world.

cdisher said:
I hope this works as I have never added a link before.

Almost, Charlie... :)

There are two ways to post a link. You can just type (or paste) the web address into your message, and it will automatically become a link, like this:

http://www.firstelectricmotor.com/motor_connections.htm

Or, you can use the HTTP:// button while you're typing a message. At the first prompt, you enter what you want to call the link, then at the second prompt, enter the web address. What you type at the first prompt will be displayed, like this:

Motor Connection Diagrams

Check out THIS link to learn more.

Great link by the way!... (y)

beerchug

-Eric

P.S. Terry, your drawing makes me dizzy... :D