Breaker/Fuse/Wire Selection Chart For Motors

kbcombs

Hi all,
Does anyone here know or use an online graph or chart for quick selection of breaker/fuse size, wire size, and FLA for motors with various voltages ie, 208, 230, 460? I tried google but I didn't come up with what I was looking for. Thanks...

Kyle

rsdoran,
Thanks for the reply. The bussmann link wasn't exactly what I was looking for. I have an Ugly's book, but it's pretty generic. Because I am freakishly lazy, I am looking for something that basically says if I have a 10HP/3P motor at 460 VAC I should use a x-Amp Circuit Breaker or x-Amp Fuses and run x-AWG wire and be within NFPA code (most of the time anyway). I did find something real close but it only had 460 and 208 VAC. No 230 VAC for 3 phase... Go figure. Here is the link though:

http://www.emsco.net/starter-sizing.htm

Ask your electrical supply house for one of those cardboard 'slide rule' motor data calculators. They give 'em away free. I've got probably half a dozen of these laying around. No computer needed!... :D
🍻

-Eric

I used to have an application for my Palm PDA that did just that. I don't remember where I got it, but I found it while looking for free-ware for it. Try a search for palm pilot software.

There are some neat calculators at electrician.com, not what you're looking for right now but some good stuff for future reference.

Last edited:
Eric Nelson said:
Ask your electrical supply house for one of those cardboard 'slide rule' motor data calculators. They give 'em away free. I've got probably half a dozen of these laying around. No computer needed!...

Bingo! Call your local Square D distributor and just ask. You'll get a box of em' the next day or so..

KBCombs,

You can do as I do, and make up your own chart or spreadsheet based on Table 430.152 of the National Electrical Code.

Col 1: Voltage
Col 2: Phases (1 or 3)
Col 3: Horsepower
Col 4: Full Load Amps (Look up in NEC Table 430-150)
Col 5: Time-Delay Fuse Size (= Full Load Amps X 200%)
Col 6: Circuit Breaker Size (= Full Load Amps X 275%)

If anyone needs one I can post my Excel spreadsheet.

Please post your excel sheet. It would be nice to see how you have set up the excel sheet.

Jurgen

Last edited:
I have a program on my desktop called Motor Protection 2004. It will do what you are wanting to do but only for 480VAC. Seems like I got this off of this site but I can't remember. I also have an ElectriCalc Pro. The program that Alaric is refering to is called MotorDataPro. It runs on the Palm OS.

Well, I used the code from the VB 6 version in my own "intro to eVB" (VB for PocketPC) project. I made it for my own use and never did anything else with it. I'll post it here when I get back to my other computer. (probably tonight).

Motor Fuse & Breaker Sizes

Okay Jvdv, Here is the Excel spreadsheet called Motor Fuse & Breaker Sizes"