Another Quick Pro Jr. question

I followed your advice about deleting all of my tags (Quickdesigner program) and then resave each panel. I did it and it worked. I went panel-by-panel and found out what labels were attached to each tag and I found several tags that don't appear anywhere in the panels, however, they were generated as I saved each panel but don't seem to be attached to anything. Three of these tags are a little screwy looking (B3/951, B3/954, B3/955). Are these internal tags? I don't understand exactly what their internal tags are used for. Thank you for the help.

if you're having trouble interpreting those bit addresses, check your notes from our phone conversation ...

specifically, B3/951 is THE SAME bit as B3:59/7 ... (in other words, it's the same bit/box – just a different way of representing the address) ...

from the second program you posted:

B3/951 = B3:59/7 which is documented: "ACCEPT CHANGE KEY" ...
B3/954 = B3:59/10 which is documented: "next step s.k." ...
B3/955 = B3:59/11 which is documented: "previous step s.k." ...

Ok, they must be tied to the alarms panel in Quick design and that's why they don't show up on any of the others. I checked my notes and I must have negelected to write that down. Thank you for all the help Ron and others.

I checked my notes and I must have negelected to write that down.

remember we Right-Clicked on an EMPTY area of the Ladder Display window ... then went to Properties/Address Display ...

then we experimented with the settings for "Binary Bit Display Mode" ... play with those settings and you'll see the pattern ...

Sorry friend's, this HMI is fighting me 'til the bitter end. I now get a "PLC NOT CONNECTED" alarm. This morning, before I downloaded my new program, the HMI/AB interface was fine. I tried downloading the old program back into the HMI and it gives the same alarm. The CPU is still working like a champ, nothing about the interface cable has changed, is it possible I had a setting incorrect? The CPU and HMI are connected via a DH485 connection, which is what I had the setting on. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again.

When you re-download the original make sure to check the box 'Update Display Device Executable'.

Try cycling the display power after the download.

Did both of those. I think it might be that my settings for the PLC are not matching the comm settings for the HMI. I'm trying to find that info on the AB side.

are you connecting the HMI to the TOP port on the processor - or to the BOTTOM port? ...

also, can you determine what "Node Address" the HMI is using on DH485 ... the SLC "usually" defaults to "1" - so make sure there is no conflict with the HMI ... (specifically, you'll probably need to use something OTHER THAN "1" for it) ...

Which TotalControl cable to connect from the display to the PLC are you using - C83 or C84? This is assuming you are going to the modular connector on the CPU.

In the old project, what are the settings under the 'PLC Type', 'Port' and 'Protocol' buttons.

Compare these to your new setup.

The 'Port' settings should be:

Elect Format - RS422 (C83 cable) or RS232 (C84 cable)
Baud Rate - 19200
Data Bits - 8
parity - Even
Stop Bits - 1
Handshake - None

Last edited:
The 'Port' settings should be:

Elect Format - RS422 (C83 cable) or RS232 (C84 cable)
parity - Even

I have it set for RS422-half duplex
OOOPS, I switched from even parity to none

this looks fishy ...

like I said, I know ZERO about a QP device ... but the settings that you just listed look like settings for the "bottom port" (DB9-type plug) - NOT for the "top port" which has the RJ45-type plug ...

double-check WHERE you should be connecting the QP to the PLC ... I've got a hunch that the QP could be connected to either port - using the correct cable and settings of course - but that you're mixing-and-matching things ...

Ron - the setting I gave are for connection directly to the DH485 modular plug. The cable (C83) has a male modular plug on the end and connects to the modular post directly.

I have it set for RS422-half duplex

This is correct, I left off the 'Half-Duplex' part.

The easiest setting under the 'Protocol' button when it's just a 1-1 connection are:

Source Id - 0
Destination Id - 1 (assuming this is the value in the PLC. While this is the default for the modular port on the PLC it may have been changed.)
Maximum Id - 1 (If you have more units on the network then this must be set to the highest Id on the network.)
Timeout - 1 second