ArmorStart Controller can release brake with no voltage on motor

I have partially opened one of our ArmorStart 284Gs up and it is hard to see everything inside (packed like sardines in a can) also it was a workable drive that I didn’t want to ruin by over exploring.

I would like to see a schematic of the internal wiring of the ArmorStart 284G. In this model I saw an internal (physical not solid state) relay whose contacts power the 120 AC volt brake. Although I am not sure what energizes the brake coil I think it was 2 phases of the Motor voltage.

Eddie Willers said:
“I don't know exactly how the internal brake contactor on the ArmorStart works, but there is a setting that allows you to cause the single Output Relay contact (not the same as the internal EM Brake contactor) to be set when the output current goes above a programmed threshold.”

I like what you are saying (the idea) but I do not understand everything you are saying. How do I utilize the Relay Output contact you are referring to? If I understand you correctly by changing Parameter 155=7 and setting Parameter 156=0% does not affect the existing Brake Relay? If it doesn’t how do I utilize the results of changing setting on these parameters? What is” the single Output Relay contact”?
Do you know if this is a real world output with a measurable voltage (i.e. 24V DC)? How do I use it? Can you help me out? I really want to try this out but I do know how to implement.

I got the pdf User’s Manual and I’m trying to make sense of it. It seems to me that you have to know how all this stuff works before you can utilize their information.
Thanks again

Just Thinking

I am an electrician by trade but I love the Controls aspect of my job. I do not have a lot of exposure to all the different controls and techniques used in automation today. I am only familiar with what I am exposed to here in our Paint Shop part of the Plant.

I know our RSLogix 5000 software program maps the I/O from the DeviceNet into our PLC 5000 program. Perhaps I can see the Single Output Relay Contact there? Again I will have to look Monday morning when I go into work. I'm just thinking - I am going to look at the User Manual some more and see if I can anything from that.

Do you know if this is a real world output with a measurable voltage (i.e. 24V DC)? How do I use it? Can you help me out? I really want to try this out but I do know how to implement.
Every motor drive that I have seen in the last 10 years has a "Programming" mode or similar. When you switch the drive controls to that mode, you will be able to access the changable parameters using buttons on the front of the control console or HMI interface.