AS-i Power Supplies Interchangeable?

neophile_17

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello gentlemen,

I have a machine that is ready to start debug and the ABB AS-i power supply is back ordered. I'm getting the impression that this is going to be one of those situations where "you'll have in 3 weeks" and in 3 weeks it will be "2 more weeks" and then it will be 5 weeks later than that. This is our first AS-i implementation so I'm a little nervous mixing manufacturers in addition to the normal learning curve. Has anyone had good or bad experience mixing AS-i components from different manufacturers? If I do have to go this way is there a particular power supply that might be more friendly with such a setup?

Many Thanks!

Sam

Welcome to the forum, if electrical data from one power supply is equal to another from a different manufacturer you can interchange them.

I have never worked with AS-i but I have done it with Devicenet power supplies.

I had this situation and I used IFM ASI supply in it's place, this proved to be ideal as we had one on the shelf, to be honest we replaced a number of the originals with the IFM one as these proved to be more reliable. Do not try to use any old PSU this may cause problems as they are not designed for it. The IFM ones shut down on a short so do not require any type of fuse in the output. We had a total of 23 of these in the end & never replaced one of them again. I bet many will say that not using the correct mfr for the power can cause problems but in my case this did not cause any problems.