Assigning IP to 1734-AENT

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all. A little ashamed of myself that I can't remember how to do this but..... I have a 1734-AENT that I set the wheels to "888" applied power, waited, disconnected power, set the wheels to "000" then tried "111" because I couldn't remember which one it was, to set the IP using bootp but it isn't showing up. I read in the document to keep track of the numbers prior to setting it to 888 however, I am getting this after the boss already tried so I don't know what the original octet value was. Am I screwed without having the original setting of the wheel?

You want "999" for boot-p I believe this is how they come out of the box.

edit: I saw where you read that in the manual, odd this tech note does not mention that just says all is wiped set to desired setting after you reset. OH and cycle power again after you change the setting the second time!

ID: IN7053 | Access Levels: Everyone (explains it better than me)

To reset the 1734-AENT(R) to factory defaults:

Set the thumbwheels on the adapter to the value 888
Power cycle the module
Allow the unit to fully power up (wait at least one minute) then set the thumbwheel switches to another desired setting and cycle power again.

Last edited:
888 for factory reset. 1-254 for specific IP addresses. Any other setting allows software setup. 999 is the default out of the box but 255-887 and 889-999 will all allow software setup.

OG

888 for factory reset. 1-254 for specific IP addresses. Any other setting allows software setup. 999 is the default out of the box but 255-887 and 889-999 will all allow software setup.

OG

So, if I set it to "888", cycle power, and it doesn't show up on bootp, does that mean the device might be bad?

Did they tell you to set it to 999? or anything else but 888?

In the AB literature? From what I understood, I could hard code it with the thumbwheel or set it to 999 and set it with bootp......IF I am understanding it correctly however, nothing is working as of yet.

So, if I set it to "888", cycle power, and it doesn't show up on bootp, does that mean the device might be bad?

Did you follow these steps I posted above?

1: Set the thumbwheels on the adapter to the value 888
2: Power cycle the module
3: Allow the unit to fully power up (wait at least one minute) then set the thumbwheel switches to another desired setting and cycle power again.

From your original post it sounded like you set to "888"applied power, disconnected power and tried to set to another setting and power again.

These steps from techconnect makes it sound like after booting with "888" choose another setting while still powered (either 999 for bootp or a valid IP address for 192.168.1.xxx), then repower and you should have the new setting.

If this is not working possibly a bad unit. There might be a way to find out if the device has an IP address via the MAC address, but I would have to do some google cause I have never attempted. If you could find an IP address might be able to do something in the websettings.

Did you follow these steps I posted above?

1: Set the thumbwheels on the adapter to the value 888
2: Power cycle the module
3: Allow the unit to fully power up (wait at least one minute) then set the thumbwheel switches to another desired setting and cycle power again.

From your original post it sounded like you set to "888"applied power, disconnected power and tried to set to another setting and power again.

These steps from techconnect makes it sound like after booting with "888" choose another setting while still powered (either 999 for bootp or a valid IP address for 192.168.1.xxx), then repower and you should have the new setting.

If this is not working possibly a bad unit. There might be a way to find out if the device has an IP address via the MAC address, but I would have to do some google cause I have never attempted. If you could find an IP address might be able to do something in the websettings.
See my original post. I did all that before. I did see that the Module Status LED is solid which documentation says is not recoverable. What I don't know is, does that mean the device is now a brick?

See my original post. I did all that before. I did see that the Module Status LED is solid which documentation says is not recoverable. What I don't know is, does that mean the device is now a brick?

Yes solid red module status sounds like its toast.
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=112551

Sorry I read your orginal post as being out of order from what they say to do that is why I reposted the steps.

Last edited: