Backup SLC 5/05 can't connect

e5frog

Have a few questions about backing up.

I have an SLC 5/05 CPU (1747-L551) with a battery warning since a couple of days back. From reading here I understand the capacitor can't be trusted even if it should hold the memory for 30 minutes according to the manual.
Have no working backup of the PLC program.

The "RS232" port below the "ENET" port is connected to an AIC+ (1761-NET-AIC) with a 9-pin DSUB in the CPU end and a mini-DIN on the AIC+. The DH-485 port next to it is connected (to the Panelview 900 - nice amber single color - I assume) and the 9-pin DSUB below it is unused. Speed setting is set to "Auto", there's no address written in the little white area on the front of it. Voltage is set to "External".

So... I made a cable according to this image:
http://thientruongpc.com.vn/image/d...RADLEY/RS232 F F/1747-CP3 RS232F-F 3M_8_1.jpg

... and I also used a null-modem cable I already had which is tested and working between to PC:s running terminal programs.

I installed Windows XP Professional and all update packages, RS Logix 8.10 and RSLinx Classic Lite, but I can't get a connection with the "DF1" nor "PIC" type (read it could be possible, the latter doesn't really want to play at all). Autoconnect doesn't work with neither cable, neither port (tested DSUB on CPU and also DSUB on AIC+) trying all speeds and and CRC BCC whatever error corrections.

Also tried a straight TP cable directly from PC to the CPU, don't really get how it's supposed to work. Perhaps a crossed cable is needed or both of them connected to a router? No IP-address is written on the CPU where there's room for this.

Even though it says in several other places a USB to COM-port adapter should work, it didn't. But neither did an older laptop with a built-in COM-port.

So I wonder, how should a proper cable for this CPU be connected internally exactly? How do I know if my CPU use RS-232 or setup for DH-485?
There's some kind of ASCII-connection as well it seems... what about that?

I tried running a terminal program to the port as well, I got a stream of repeated data, couldn't really make anything from it. Tried all available speeds up to 19200 bps.

The Windows port settings aren't really crucial are they, they're changed by RSLinx Classic Lite anyway, right? Standard is the speed, 8-N-1 and then Xon/Xoff / Software / Hardware - which doesn't really match all the options in the RSLinx program.

Ideas, suggestions?
Want to make sure I have a proper cable before anything else.

Thanks!

... and I assume the key switch should be set to PROG, I have tried REM and RUN as well but just the automatic mode.

I also tried a second USB to COM-adapter which has worked fine with another PLC and one of the same computers as is currently used.

I think it is SP3 yes.
EDIT: Yes it's SP3, I used an nLite version that I made with the SP3 already included in the installation.

Last edited:
I used the already installed Windows XP Home at first - the programming software didn't like that. Read somewhere it needed the Pro version.

A 1747-CP3 cable will work with the serial port.
If you don't have one you may be able to get the pinout by doing a search on the web.

If you use the CP3 cable the default driver is DF1.
Auto configure will set the parameters (if it works that is) for the comms.

Ethernet is usually my first choice if an investigation is done to know what subnet it is on. Using the angry ip scanner ( https://angryip.org/ ) gets me a detailed map of the subnet and can list out everyone from .0 to .255 then give the results a try with rslinx. Go with the ETH driver and not the ETHIP to save another bit of hassle if you've narrowed down the correct address.

If the DB9 port is configured to DH485 you will need a 1747-UIC cable.

Do you know the IP address of the Ethernet port?

On the one machine I look after which has a SLC, i can't connect using my USB-serial adaptor. I have to use my 1747-UIC adaptor with a 1747-CP3 serial cable..

Because the serial port of the SLC-5/05 is connected via a 1761-NET-AIC to a PanelView 900 of that age, it is VERY likely that the port is configured for DH485 protocol.

That protocol is very difficult for Windows computers to connect to. It is not beneficial to discuss every variation of Windows service pack, RSLinx Classic, and type of serial interface. The "1747-PIC" driver in RSLinx is, for all practical purposes, dead forever. Nobody should try to use it unless there are no alternatives.

The only USB device you should try to use is a purpose-built USB/DH485 interface. Rockwell sells their 1747-UIC, and there are a couple of third party vendors with ones that work. These are ONLY for USB to DH485; they do not function as general purpose USB to Serial interfaces.

The cable will always be a "null modem" type cable, including the 1747-CP3, to connect to the serial port on the SLC-5/05 or the DB9 port on the 1761-NET-AIC.

The functionality of other USB converters with other PLCs that are not configured for DH485 protocol is a distraction, so let's step away from that. The serial ports on PanelView Classic terminals are a separate topic; if you've got a monochrome PanelView 900 with DH485, then its DB9 RS-232 port is for serial printing only.

I agree that it is far more sensible to connect to the controller over Ethernet.

Unfortunately, that generation of controller probably doesn't have a good method of universal discovery like the modern "EtherNet/IP" driver, though you could give it a try.

Use whatever tools or techniques you need to to discover the IP address of the controller, including inferring it from the settings of an HMI or related computers, or running PING or port scan tools, or connecting to it with Wireshark to see its ARP packets.

Because I tend to not want to fuss with guessing, I usually use Wireshark with a NIC on which all of the services except TCPIP v4 have been disabled.