Bar code scanner with ML 1500

advmin

Hello Guys,

I am trying to add a Zebra DS457 FIXED MOUNT IMAGER with MICROLOGIX 1500 LRP

1. How to connect the imager with the ML1500 since it only had an RS-232 port (no ethernet)
When I tried connecting the scanner to RS-232, it's not getting powered up.
How can I establish communication between the ML 1500 and the scanner?

2. How the output from the imager can energize an input in PLC so that a particular program selection is possible?

( one of our colleague suggested using raspberry pi. Connecting the scanner to RASpi and programming it in a way to fire output to some relays.)Is this a better way?

Please share your opinions and suggestions

cheers.

Thank you L33er for your reply.
I read the manual but still confused about how it works.

How the data read by the scanner could be used to select a particular program in plc?

How can we set the barcode scanner to energize the inputs of plc?

(I am a newbie in automation, apologies for the flaws)

cheers.

I have the USB - RS 232 cable with me now.

I am going to order the CBL-58918-02 with the power adaptor soon.

How the data read by the scanner could be used to select a particular program in plc?

How can we set the barcode scanner to energize the inputs of plc?

When it comes to the software side, how can we implement this?

cheers

Once you got the proper hardware, connect to a PC and set it up so that you can read the barcode, once that is completed, then I'll give you the next step.

Perfect.
Thankyou L33er.

It will be delivered tomorrow itself. I will update you once I have done what you suggested.

cheers.

hello all,
As suggested I connected the scanner to the pc using those cables and it's working perfectly similar to the keyboard input when I checked it with the notepad.

I have downloaded the Zebra app called 123 scan for the configuration.

So, please share your thoughts on how to move forward and the steps to collaborate with ML 1500.

cheers

There's a whole section of instructions for Ascii.

just get into the program and use the instruction help and look at each of the commands. read what they do, then read the manual on how to read ascii. set up the port to read ascii instead of df1 comms...

one thing at a time... if you can't at least get it reading or registering something, then it may be time to bring an integrator in.

Thanks, parky and arpus4KM.

I have been reading the manual and trying different commands to find out how they actually work.
I never worked in ASCI before, so I am putting more time to grab as many details from the manual to build a strong base on it.

will update you soon about the developments.

cheers

I think it's just a matter of configuring the port for ascii & it's parameters, using those functions (and bits) i.e. when you receive data (I believe there are vars that tell you data has arrived & how many bytes) move those into a variable(s) & clear the buffer using the clr buffer function. I assume you will not need to send data to the reader as assumed it will just send the data when triggered by a contact of some sort.

I think it's just a matter of configuring the port for ascii & it's parameters, using those functions (and bits) i.e. when you receive data (I believe there are vars that tell you data has arrived & how many bytes) move those into a variable(s) & clear the buffer using the clr buffer function. I assume you will not need to send data to the reader as assumed it will just send the data when triggered by a contact of some sort.

yes that's the gist of it.

I do have some complete program examples that are a bit overcomplicated to give as an example.

I will say you can do a simple test using the RSlogix 500 Emulate program. Turn on the Ascii channel, and you can then open your PC com port using PuTTy and send ASCII virtually to your virtual controller to get an idea as to whether or not your logic will receive and parse out the ascii properly... Useful if you can't be near the setup yet, or don't have the ability to get the barcode scanner working.

Here is a screenshot, just using the ascii read command. entered a length of 10, then typed in characters from 1 rs232 device (using putty), directly connected to another rs232 device (going to the virtual channel 0 ascii input) of the virtual plc. to receive the characters, once 10 is reached, it goes DN.

That is basically all you need to get characters IN the plc.. what you do with the logic and characters after that is specific to your process.

simpleasciiexample.PNG

Thanks, Parky for the valuable feedback. Really helped me out.

Here is a screenshot, just using the ascii read command. entered a length of 10, then typed in characters from 1 rs232 device (using putty), directly connected to another rs232 device (going to the virtual channel 0 ascii input) of the virtual plc. to receive the characters, once 10 is reached, it goes DN

Thank you arpus4KM for the detailed guidance.
From your explanations and the manuals, now I am confident in moving forward on using ASCII.

I will update my developments soon.

Thanks again.

cheers