Bring Siemens tags into a CompactLogix PLC

VSeaver

I have a machine that has a Siemens S7-300 plc in it. It also has an external machine connected to it that has a compactLogix plc in it. I would like to import some of th Siemen's tags into the CompactLogix plc to make some OEE calculations. I am currently using KEPware to take tags from both Siemens and AB into a PanelView plus HMI. Not sure if I can us KEPware on the compactLogix or not.

Sorry, yesterday became very busy.

I do remember something for KEPware with Allen-Bradley : I believe you need the KEPwareEX Allen-Bradley suite. You should check witch kind of licensing for KEPware you have.

I have a machine that has a Siemens S7-300 plc in it. It also has an external machine connected to it that has a compactLogix plc in it. I would like to import some of th Siemen's tags into the CompactLogix plc to make some OEE calculations. I am currently using KEPware to take tags from both Siemens and AB into a PanelView plus HMI. Not sure if I can us KEPware on the compactLogix or not.

Most Likely you can do this with what you have as long as you have the correct driver in Kepware.

Do you have Kepware running on a PC near the machine I ask because a hardware gateway may have been a better solution so that you don't have the issues of dealing with a PC.

The only time I use Kepware is if I have a PC based HMI or I am doing data collection to a PC based system and I have to use a PC anyway.

For PLC to PLC comms I like to use a hardware gateway solution and my favorite is the Red Lion Data Station Plus because it has drivers for almost everything and is simple to setup and priced well.

For what you have I would have used a Red Lion G3 series HMI vs the Panelview Plus and it would have taken care of the HMI and it has the Gateway and drivers built in like the Data Station plus so in that setup you have a lot of money could have been saved and you would have had a much more reliable solution.

Just something to keep in mind for the future. The Red Lion G3 HMI's beat the Panel View Plus in almost every metric all day long.

Thanks for you help. Right now we are using a free version of KepWare server. I will look into the Allen-Bradley one.

Thanks again.

Most Likely you can do this with what you have as long as you have the correct driver in Kepware.

Do you have Kepware running on a PC near the machine I ask because a hardware gateway may have been a better solution so that you don't have the issues of dealing with a PC.

The only time I use Kepware is if I have a PC based HMI or I am doing data collection to a PC based system and I have to use a PC anyway.

For PLC to PLC comms I like to use a hardware gateway solution and my favorite is the Red Lion Data Station Plus because it has drivers for almost everything and is simple to setup and priced well.

For what you have I would have used a Red Lion G3 series HMI vs the Panelview Plus and it would have taken care of the HMI and it has the Gateway and drivers built in like the Data Station plus so in that setup you have a lot of money could have been saved and you would have had a much more reliable solution.

Just something to keep in mind for the future. The Red Lion G3 HMI's beat the Panel View Plus in almost every metric all day long.

I used the PanelView Plus because it was taken off a machine that we upgraded. All but 2 of the machines on our network are Allen Bradley. The other 2 are Siemens. When I set up this monitoring system, I was looking for something to grab tags from the 2 Siemen's controlled machines and put them on this PV+. KEPWare is what I found. There was no funding for this project so that is another reason I went with Kepware. Hopefully the higher ups will see the value of this and put some funding toward it. Saying all this, that is why I am looking for something to import these Siemen's tags directly into the CompactLogix plc so I can take the speed of the Siemen's machine and the output count of the AB machine and calculate some OEE figures.

You say both devices are Ethernet capable. Could you just use a send/recieve (on the siemens side) and whatever AB uses for TCP/IP comms. and Pass a chunk of bytes back and forth?

If nothing is required to be 'real time'

You say both devices are Ethernet capable. Could you just use a send/recieve (on the siemens side) and whatever AB uses for TCP/IP comms. and Pass a chunk of bytes back and forth?

If nothing is required to be 'real time'

Yes. They are both on our network. I can view both of them from my desk. The info I want from the Siemens machine is the line speed. So this will have to be 'real time'. If I can get this tag imported somehow into the CompactLogix plc, I then can take that as well as the parts count coming out of the CompactLogix machine and calculate all my OEE values.

The Siemens machine is the main machine and the CompactLogix machine is the packaging machine. The Siemens machine feeds the CompactLogix machine.

I would consider a cheap redlion kadet..smallest and cheapest... but check it has the drivers. No budget but this would be under 500 bucks for sure

I would consider a cheap redlion kadet..smallest and cheapest... but check it has the drivers. No budget but this would be under 500 bucks for sure

Unless I am reading it wrong, but it looks like the RedLion Kadet is a HMI. Both machines have an HMI on it. All I need to do is be able import the line speed from the Siemens machine into the CompactLogix machine. Unless I am misunderstanding you. Which is highly possible.

Unless I am reading it wrong, but it looks like the RedLion Kadet is a HMI. Both machines have an HMI on it. All I need to do is be able import the line speed from the Siemens machine into the CompactLogix machine. Unless I am misunderstanding you. Which is highly possible.

Hi yes it is a hmi but cheaper than a datastation and will act as a gateway.just mount it in the panel and dont use the hmi part