Bring Siemens tags into a CompactLogix PLC

Gateways. There are several of them. They add a new point of failure, but some times it's just the way to go.

Newer AB EWEB cards can do socket comms, but from what I've read, they are a hassle to set up properly. As you have to handle (dis-)connections yourself.
We're using gateways atm and they are working rather well (once you get the OEM booted from the plant so you can correctly configure the messaging on the AB side :D)

The major problem with creating a proper Ethernet/IP protocol/interpreter in Siemens is because it doesn't handle variable length in Ethernet comms really well. If you don't know the length of the received message before receiving it, you have to handle it byte per byte until you reach the last byte of data. Just using max size WILL screw you over.
And the fun part? It's one byte per PLC scan cycle. You can't create a loop that reads the entire buffer in one PLC scan. So 50 bytes of data = 50 scans. Easily 200ms.

The HMI-route was one of our options, if we couldn't get the gateways set up. For €700 you can get simple ones that can connect to both Siemens and AB, where you just copy the value from one tag to the other. As mentioned earlier, expect realistic min update rates of 500ms.

I am fairly new at programming in Step 7. I do better in AB. I will have to find some manuals on how to program in Step 7. This is beyond me. I would love to learn more about Siemens programming because I believe it has more capabilities than AB. Just a learning curve. Thanks for your help.

See the example below, for setting up comms between a logix and an S7-1500. The S7-300 is a little bit different, and you won't be able to open the project if you're using Simatic Manager, but most of the concepts still carry over.

https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/us/en/view/108740380

If your Controllogix has Ethernet/IP Master or Slave capability, AND your S7-300 has Profinet IO Master capability, you can use an Anybus gateway:

If the Controllogix is the master, use the Ethernet/IP Slave to Profinet IO Device:
http://anybus.com/products/products.asp?PID=301&ProdType=Anybus X-gateway

If the Controllogix is the slave, use the Ethernet/IP Master to Profinet IO Device:
http://anybus.com/products/products.asp?PID=372&ProdType=Anybus X-gateway

The handling of transfers is done by the gateway itself. It's simpler if the Controllogix is the Ethernet/IP master. Then you would simply add the Anybus gateway as a slave to both PLCs, with the right number of input/output bytes/words.

Regards.

I've used the Anybus and Red Lion DSP. I haven't found anything to be more easy and powerful as the Red Lion. You can drop and drag tags from 1 type of network to another. And if your in need of an HMI, their G3 and Graphite models have the gateway built in-killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

I've used the Anybus and Red Lion DSP. I haven't found anything to be more easy and powerful as the Red Lion. You can drop and drag tags from 1 type of network to another. And if your in need of an HMI, their G3 and Graphite models have the gateway built in-killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

So I took your advice and had a local vendor get me a Red Lion DSP on loan to see if it will work for my application. I got the communications set up for both the Allen Bradley PLC and the Siemens PLC. I got some tags entered and I am able to see these tags live so I know they are working. Half the battle done. I am having a hard time finding out how take the Siemens tag and put it in the Allen Bradley PLC. Is there a manual on how to do this?

So I took your advice and had a local vendor get me a Red Lion DSP on loan to see if it will work for my application. I got the communications set up for both the Allen Bradley PLC and the Siemens PLC. I got some tags entered and I am able to see these tags live so I know they are working. Half the battle done. I am having a hard time finding out how take the Siemens tag and put it in the Allen Bradley PLC. Is there a manual on how to do this?

You can go to Page 29 of the manual for "adding gateway blocks". You'll want to add add gateway blocks to the Siemens PLC and then drag your PLC tags over to each Siemens gateway tag. Take a look. I could share a picture later if you need it.

If you could provide the picture, that would be wonderful. Like I said, I got this unit on loaner from our vendor and it didn't come with a manual. Thanks so much for your help.