CAUTION !! Industrial Automation Engineers who dream to work in USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indian_American,

or is that Indian_Indian.

I am not Anti American.
- you could have fooled me!

i see many Indian guys who have posted their resume on this website saying they are ready to work at any Salary and anywhere in the USA.
- What were your reasons / wants for moving to the USA?

It seems to me that you expected to find the streets of America paved with gold!

Now that you have found out that the USA is not paved with gold, you actually have to do some digging to get it, you start moaning and blaming the system for not handing you your 'share' on a plate!

The USA owes you nothing!

My two pennies (cents) worth!

I did not read his comments as Anti-American. Talk to a tool, die or moldmaker and you will hear a lot worse. From my limited experience and from what I can infer, what he (she?) states seems to be true. I would hope that a US citizen would get preference over a non-citizen. The H1B visa has been the target of activists for a while and is getting a bad name.

That said, times are tough and people get frustrated. The question is, when life places and obstacle, do you consider it a hurdle or a wall?

Ive always noticed the lack of the H1B visas in the automation field. In fact, ive recommened to several IT people looking for a change to try PLCs and the like, specifically because the lack of visa competition.

Another Heaven / Hell Joke.

In heaven : Police are british, cooks are french, lovers are italian, and germans are engineers.

In hell : Cooks are british, French are engineers, police are italian, and germans are lovers.

Notice the Cooks in hell are british in both europe and india?? ;)

So this is turning into an anti-british cook post now!

Rick,

Ok, I have re-read this post several times and maybe I was a little hasty in accusing Indian_American of being anti-USA. I mis-interpreted what he had wrote.

Matthias

It would only be heaven with the British Police if you are a criminal and not a victim of crime. But that another story.

Paul

Plucas,

You got it totally wrong ! I feel sorry for you !

I was getting paid much better compared to Indian Standards as i was working for an American MNC.I already stated in my first post that i left for America to explore and accept new challanges.I wanted to work on latest technologies,Mind blowing applications,learn Managerial skills (I heard Americans are THE BEST at it),work in a global engineering team so that i can see the world and different cultures which i thought was not possible staying in India.I hold Masters of Engineering (Instrumentation) degree.I was also thinking of joining MBA school in USA as my ultimate goal was to become Technical Head of some World Known Automation Company in USA.
And what i am doing here ?? Some crappy work !! I think i am not challanged enough here.Also i found out there is not enough respect for Engineers here in USA.I guess people call them Nerds and hate them :) Anyways.....

I just wanted to tell all those Automation Engineers in India that its not worth uprooting from India and come to USA in search of good career or Money.As you will get none of these here.In India its exactly opposite.Engineering is still considered a respectful job.(Engineers are paid very well compared to other professions and there are lot of challenging opportunities in India in Industrial Automation Field.So why come to USA just stay in India.

Hope you got it.

But if you all stay in india, there wont be as many wonderful indian resturants here! ;) Actually, living where I do in michigan, there is a very large indian population, and I just love all the resturants and especially the indian grocery stores. I made some Mattar Paneer last night even (made the paneer and naan from scratch even, yummy). Anyways, I digress.
Maybe you shouldnt give up hope. But I think your right, having a green card will improve you chances here. Are they that hard to get? Your already here and working. Life isnt always fun climbing the corporate ladder. The real dream of america is doing it yourself. Start your own consulting and intergrating firm. Then you get paid far more, but it takes far more effort and risk.

Indian_American no offense, but QUIT WHINING! stop yer complaining and do something about it. If you want to warn people, that's just fine with me, but posting a topic just to be controversial that is not the way to do it. PUT UP OR SHUT UP!

Goody said:

Oh yes, and finally - Tom, get yer bloody hair cut

But Goody, ole pardner, this haircut has been working for me since the 60's. I always figgered, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Besides, I is kind o' bragging hyar, cuz a lot of the fellers my age ain't got it no more!

(Acshully, I has t' git m' wife's permishun afore I kin git m' hair cut!)

Another view on the subject...

I am an American Citizen, went to university in that great melting pot of California. Half Alaskan, Half Australian, now living in Ireland (hence the nickname...).

Let me tell you that protectionism exists everywhere. With a 4 year BScME degree and quite a bit of practical work experience, it took me over a year to even find a job here in Dublin. I was pumping gas for 7 months, and only got my current job because my boss didn't know how hard it would be to get me legal. Had to do some tricky paperwork, got turned away from most interviews as soon as they heard that I was a foreigner, and in the end had to take a trip to Florida for the weekend and pretend I was just arriving.
Now I am Engineering Supervisor at my company, and am working on buying into the company after only 4 years. Perseverence pays off, and you DO get paid what you are worth.

Opportunities exist, but sometimes you need to work for them.
Indian-American, if you want to go back to India, go ahead. You said you wanted a challenge, so why would you run away from it now?

Somebody mentioned that when the economy is low, automation goes down with it. Not always the case from my experience. We are in the business of building specialized 1-off machines for assembly and testing, and have found that many compaines here in Ireland that have traditionally been labor (or labour for some people...) intensive are now doing everything they can to automate in order to get rid of operators and improve efficiency. This means that they are willing to invest money in machines in order to save money in salaries. Good for me, bad for Joe Schmo.

Anyway, don't let one person's bad luck stop anyone from going anywhere.

This thread is unlike any other, it's kinda like a comic relief, although it discuss a sensitive issue of whatever.
Anyway, Indian_American you posted this thread for Indians aspiring to work in the US, I wonder if any such Indian has read this post. You and I are the only two Indians here. I am afraid your efforts have proved abortive.

I have been reading this post and all the replies. I partially agree with Indian_American that as far as automation field is concerned there is not much challenging work here. I am also from India and working here since last 3 years on H1. I used to work for a system Integrator in India and here also I am working for a system integrator. The type of projects I have done here are quite similar to what I used to do in India. When I came here in States I was eager to learn how the projects are executed in US and belive me I have learned here a lot !!! Even though I was doing similar projects here the difference was the way projects are executed here. In my view challanging work does not always include working on top notch technology but how you increase your efficeincy in normal projects. This is what I have learned here.

Also, Indian_American you are saying that the salary is always better in India, but in my view this is only only true if you are working for MNC's like GE or AB.If you are working for system integrators than it's altoghter a different story :(

I also beleive that not, lot of automation jobs will be outsourced as in most jobs day to day interaction is needed and of course site commissioning is required.

Overall I had a wonderful experience here. Apart from job I enjoyed here observing culture difference and people's behavior. I also got a chance to meet and make friendship with some wonderful people here.

H1B visas

One thing that has not been mentioned here is the situation with the H1B visa. Approximately 4 years ago the annual cap for H1B visa was raised from 50000 to 195000. As you all know our economy has gone through some tough times in last 3 years and yet big businesses
have been bringing in 195000 IT people a year!!!
This in turn has caused an unemplyment among engineers to rise to
7.5%. This is a figure taken from EE Times.
General unemployment stands at 6.1% at this time. This is unprecedented! Engineering unemplyment has always been lower than the general unemployment until now!
Big business of course got used to paying depressed salaries to IT people and so they don't want the H1B visa cap to go down to 50000 again.
Since engineers have no union representation they are at the mercy of the big business and their greed. Of course you can always start your own Company but then you will face even bigger problems.
There is just no way out. LOL.

To Jiri:

I would like to correct your comments. Last year against a cap of 195000, approx. 120,000 H1B visas were issued. This year the figure will be definatley less than 120,000 even though the cap for this year is also 195,000. Unless the congees does something, H1B cap will go back to 65,000 from Oct.2003.

Re: H1B visas

Jiri Toman said:
Of course you can always start your own Company but then you will face even bigger problems.
There is just no way out. LOL.

No pain, no gain.

In my opinion, many of you guys are missing the point. Remember: Everything has its price .

If you want the benefits of higher salary and the freedom to move to a new country to get it, you have to take the chance of having it not work out and you have to put up with the cyclic economic fluctuations. If you want the benefits of going into your own business without asking anyone's permission, you have to be willing to risk long hours, hard work, no pay, and only yourself to blame for failure.

On the other hand, if you want a gauranteed safety net and assurances that you will be taken care of, you have to put up with someone pulling your strings and restricting your choices and absorbing all the economic surplus. Never in the history of mankind have you been able to have it both ways.

As for myself, I'm willing to take my chances on my own abilities in return for not having a bunch of idiots and bereaucrats looking over my shoulder or hanging on my back.

Status
Not open for further replies.