Changing MPI Address on TP270 Operator Panel

Rusty_K

Hello,

Does anyone know how to change the MPI Address on a Siemens TP270 Operator Panel? We are currently in the process of upgrading a CNC/Robotic cell so I would like to have both Operator panels (the new and old) connected on the same profibus network with out causing any conflict problems. Of course one of the 2 panels will be disabled while the cell is running. I've connected everything yet still cant see it on the MPI network nor does it seem to be communicating with the PLC. I've checked all the termination switches and they seem to be correct as I can view devices connected after the TP270 OP on the network. I also checked the dip switches in the back and the are all set to "OFF" (Switches 1-4) as recommended for RS485/MPI/Profibus DP on the IF1B port.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..thank you kindly for your time,

Cheers,

R.K.

Last edited:
Check to see if there was a means provided in the runtime to exit out. If not disconnect the 24VDC connector to remove power to the panel then reconnect the power connector.

"When starting the HMI device, the system automatically switches from the loader to the Transfer menu.

3. Press the "Cancel" button to switch to the loader.​

4. Press the "Control Panel" button to switch to the Windows CE Control Panel.​

5. Adapt the interface setting (serial, MPI, USB or Ethernet) in the transfer settings. Click Advanced for MPI address.​

Default setting: Serial connection​

6. Close the Control Panel and switch to the transfer mode. "​

Borrowed from the Siemen's TP270 technical manual.​

If the TP is configured for MPI, you still should be able to detect the device in the PG/PC interface under diagnostics eventhough you dont know the address. Also, a couple of other things to check if this doesnt pan out:​

1.) verify PG/PC interface is set for MPI or Auto and not Profibus​
2.) Make sure PG/PC does not occupy same MPI address as TP​
3.) I assume everything was working properly before if not​
ohm out profibus cable for shorts and check connectors​
not sure if you are using screw terminal or insulation​
displacement connectors.​

I hope everything works out for you.​

Still No luck...

Thanks Rookie_Eng...I've tried all that with no luck..

I am still not able to download (via MPI/Profibus...Serial works fine) to the OP nor see it's profibus address via "Accessible Nodes". Is there something special I need to do in NetPro or in the "Hardware Config". Presently there is nothing configured in the Hardware Config (for the old or new OP) however there is an OP block entered in NetPro for the original OP (A TP27-6). I tried to enter in a block for the new OP ( a TP270 ) however I was unable to find the exact OP model and when I tried to enter something similar I got the message "You have to either select a DP module with a DP master system or a DP slave in order to place a DP slave". I doesn't seem like it should be that big a problem to have 2 OPs connected to the same PLC..I must be missing something obvious...any ideas?

Thank you kindly for all you help, it's greatly appreciated

Cheers,

R.K.

Rusty_K said:
I am still not able to download (via MPI/Profibus...Serial works fine) to the OP

Have you set Protool to download via MPI? Not just the PG interface.

In Protool select, File -> Download -> Preferences, select MPI/Profibus DP from the drop down menu, check that the OP address is correct, then away you go.

Paul

Sweet!

Ok, I finally figured out the missing link.

The Profibus address is configured in Protool via the PLC "Controllers" menu.

Double click on the PLC name -> Parameters and under OP parameters you can alter the profibus address. Also under the "Communication Peer" you need to set the PLC Address as well as Rack/Slot location. Finally in network settings you configure the Profibus network.

Thanks to everyone for their help...especially Borte..he was most helpful!

Cheers,

R.K. (Happy Camper)