CLX MSG instruction problems

garodrig

This probably is something that I'm just overlooking but, I am having problems communicating two ControlLogix processors using the MSG instruction with the CIP Data Table Read as the message type.

I am trying to read a 8 double word array and am getting "IOI Syntax Error" as an error message without an extension. I tried lowering the size of the message to a 1 element array but it still gives the same error. Has anyone run into this? How can I fix it?

Thx

What protocol are you using - Ethernet, ControlNet, DH+?

If you are using DH+, do not use CIP.

How familar are you with doing this type of messaging. If this is your first time then, Assuming your connecting the processors together via ethernet between ENBT/A cards. Then first off you from the processor you intend to do the CIP read you have to add the other processors ENBT/A card to your I/O configuration. Then in the message instruction configuration tab you must set the path to the processor name in the I/O configuration. Other than that make sure your source element and destination are valid etc....

Sorry if this is elementary and not what your looking for.

This error normally indicates missig tag on the opposite side or incorrect path to the processor
Then first off you from the processor you intend to do the CIP read you have to add the other processors ENBT/A card to your I/O configuration.
This is absolutely incorrect. never put any communication cards in I/O configuration for MSG only. I/O configuration is for I/O control!!!
To specify path use:
1,<Local ENBT SLOT>,2,<Remote ENBT IP>, 1, <PROCESSOR SLOT>

This error normally indicates missig tag on the opposite side or incorrect path to the processorThis is absolutely incorrect. never put any communication cards in I/O configuration for MSG only. I/O configuration is for I/O control!!!
To specify path use:
1,<Local ENBT SLOT>,2,<Remote ENBT IP>, 1, <PROCESSOR SLOT>
Could you please explain more on this. Because currently I am getting error 16#203 as IO Fault error, I have added communication cards in IO configuration and I am using only for MSG instructions.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

The thread you are replying to was last posted to in 2005, more than 18 years ago.

Please go back to the main Q&A page, and use the shiny new orange "Start a New Thread" button on the right side of the screen to post your own question.

Include as much context and detail as you can, like the part numbers of the modules you are using, what the expected operation of your program is, and what sort of troubleshooting you have already tried.