Control logix Job posting of sorts..

geniusintraining said:
BTW, I just started my own automation LLC (last month), I would want to be there on start-up for my first job...I'm still looking for my first job, thanks for the offer...and hell your a friend I could not charge a friend...

WOW!!! I started my first business and closed my first business before you completed the project :)

I will help... I am not very good with CLX but I will try, do you have V16?

Can you get any funding? I still like the Redlion idea, we (Tim with TWControls and myself) are installing one now its going to be on our Intranet so we can pull the logs directly from the flash card

But what ever way you go I will help, it would be nice if Ron Beaufort or one of the pro's joined in and helped (read~ stop us from screwing it up) :) as I am good at that

First off GIT..I am sorry you buisness didnt take off...i remember when we first started..it was very hit and miss..however i hope it wont stop you from trying again once you get some contacts under you belt!..My brother did the same thing (Commercial painting contractor)..he opened.. had to close and go back to work after about a year...3 years after he started again..he is now in his 5th year and has 4 people working for him..
as for this project

Yep V16
The PLC portion of programming i have no Issue with..its the excel/ server client thing that i am having issues with

Hello Darrenj,

I hope I am not too late. I work for an systems intergration company and we are located out of Barrie Ontario. I have used control logix PLC's and have logged data over a network. (My first try I wrote VB code with RSview32, another time I tried VB with SQL which got very difficult for my fellow employees to troubleshoot so now I have used RSSQL).
Anyways I would have no problem helping you and all the code would be yours.

Let me know if you would like more information and I could send you some information about our company.

Thanks Critt

Dont know if you read all the thread but we figured we would do this for the most part in open forum..Obviously i cannot post my clients program here so some parts would have to done in private. however we would like to keep this as open as possible so others can learn. tommorow i plan to create a mockup program of what the client has that i can post using generic tags.. It would be great if you want to participate!

also GIT i forgot..i will keep the redlion in mind..but as i said i have been told no new hardware..(a couple of bucks here and there is no biggie..but anything over a couple of hundred and they are gonna shut me down)

Thanks

Darren

darrenj said:
First off GIT..I am sorry you buisness didnt take off...

Thanks... but I got a new one now, its taking off!!! (just in the wrong direction) :) my wife calls it the money pit :( but you never know unless you try....

geniusintraining said:
Thanks... but I got a new one now, its taking off!!! (just in the wrong direction) :) my wife calls it the money pit :( but you never know unless you try....

LOL...your right there..

I am setting up a SQL server right now and I am using RSSQL transaction manager. The information is being feed into a SQL table through RSSQL and we have some fairly cheap SPC software. It might be over the top from what you need but it is one idea. I have also seen a product FactorySQL used with MS Access (Excel). If you want any reporting your best bet for your money is link to Access tables.

darrenj said:
also GIT i forgot..i will keep the redlion in mind..but as i said i have been told no new hardware..(a couple of bucks here and there is no biggie..but anything over a couple of hundred and they are gonna shut me down)
Hi Darren

Do you already have the software to link to Excel? If so, which software are you using? If not, the Red Lion may be more economical than a software solution.

Good luck with you new business...oh and watch out for ladders that may hold lessons in gravity :)

Not read all the posts, but something that seems odd to me (maye its mentioned earlier, apoligies if so).

Do they really only check the weight every half an hour??

Every filling line I have been involved with, whether bottles, cans or cartons, have all included an automatic in-line check weigher.

If they are spot checking, its a wonder they have customers left, as they could easily be shipping out orders with multiple underfilled cartons. Especially if they have multi head filling machines, where if a single head has a problem could mean 1 of every x (x=No of heads) is not filled properly.

For food apps its quite often esential as well, not to overfill containers, as they may not get sterilised correctly.

Can't understand a line where there is no check weigher, where full results are always available.

Last edited:
I have not read all of the reply so someone may have already coverted this point. Do you know that excell can read from and write to tags in these plcs directly using a dde link?

TWControls said:
Hi Darren

Do you already have the software to link to Excel? If so, which software are you using? If not, the Red Lion may be more economical than a software solution.

Good luck with you new business...oh and watch out for ladders that may hold lessons in gravity :)

LOL...TWControls...This not a new buisness..i have been at it for well over 10 years now!...as for the software no i do not have any as of yet..i will look into the redlion product tommorow..I had hoped to do more on this today but time was not on my side.

PeterW said:
Do they really only check the weight every half an hour??

Every filling line I have been involved with, whether bottles, cans or cartons, have all included an automatic in-line check weigher.

If they are spot checking, its a wonder they have customers left, as they could easily be shipping out orders with multiple underfilled cartons. Especially if they have multi head filling machines, where if a single head has a problem could mean 1 of every x (x=No of heads) is not filled properly.

For food apps its quite often esential as well, not to overfill containers, as they may not get sterilised correctly.

Can't understand a line where there is no check weigher, where full results are always available

Peter yes they only check every 20 mins or so. Suprising enough the machines are very stable. As i said if a big error is detected they pull the product from the last weigh in and find out when they became lite. As for customers i can guarntee your one of them!

On the subject of auto weigh in's do you have a suggestions?..Its budget time so they are looking for proposals for next year...

Roadwhore..i was not aware of this. however again a DDE link is over my head!

Originally posted by roadwhore:

I have not read all of the reply so someone may have already coverted this point. Do you know that excell can read from and write to tags in these plcs directly using a dde link?

This description is missing an element in the middle. A CLX PLC will not directly respond to a dde query (as far as I have ever seen). You will need RSLinx OEM or Single Node or something similar (read 'Not Free') for Excel to shoot the DDE query through. But, yes, once you have that you can access data pretty reasonably.

Keith