Control Panel Pictures: Not So Good

We use the panel duct with holes rather than slots. The builder weaves a wire back and forth on the top row of holes to keep the wires into place when the cover is off. It makes for a much less messy project, and the duct cover is much easer to install.

Chuck

I've heard about guys messing with industrial lighting that got lit up on 277. They didn't seem to be quite right after that. Saw one IBEW journeyman walk off and start driving a garbage truck, we never did figure out if he got the 277 or the ballast output.

Other than some ham radio HV, I've only had to contend with a lot of 120 jolts, and once with 240 that was wired across a low voltage
thermostat.

Did get hit once with 24vdc on a standby generator. Had a good grip on the ground wire, and reached over to pull the positive off. Done it many times with no problem. Never had a metal sliver in my thumb before. OUCH!!!

I have a lot of respect for 277, and I DON'T work on it anymore!

regards....casey

Casey,

The lack of talent isn't limited to the civilian world. I used to to perform component level repair on P-3 avionics back in the 80's and early 90's and I'd say that only one out of every five techs were keepers. One day I was in the soldering shop and a petty officer came in and needed 22 transistors replaced. I asked him if they fried the box and he said, "No, the Huntron Tracker says they're bad." After coming down off the ceiling, I set his dumb a-- down right next to me and he watched as I took each one out and checked it with... TA-DA a Simpson 260 VOM! I was still giving him the benefit of the doubt thinking that maybe there was one shorted transistor in the bunch until we found the culprit- an OPEN transistor. Needless to say, he got a good lecture on troubleshooting with power on rather than rely on static measurements. The Huntron is a useful instrument, but not in the hands of most technicians. I'm sure things haven't improved much given the caliber of high school graduates these days.

BTW, more Navy wisdom enabled me to take home FIVE Simpson 260's that I found in the dumpster one day. They were discarding the analog meters in favor of Fluke digital meters. Nothing wrong with digital, mind you, but the analog meter has many uses, especially when checking forward and reverse bias, capacitors, etc. I've only had to use one of them, they never break.

Then there was the Philippines...

Grover

Ah, yes.

The .... River Queens pretty much disappeared when they put up a barricade along the walkway back in '84 or so.

That twenty years went fast.

See what happens when road salt meets a pull-box?

OT but the talk of skill levels and Simpsons reminded me of a story.

One day I went back to the tool crib for something and noticed a guy siting on a stool with a Simpson checking a large box of fuses. Each one tested good. I asked if he had yet found any bad ones and he hadn't. I let him in on the fact that he wasn't going to find any bad ones as long as he laid them on the stainless steel table top before checking them.

Back On topic...
The Panduit thing as happened to me before too. I have on panel in particular that originally was intended to operate on press. Before power was applied to it it was decided that the box would instead control about 19 presses and that instead of being mounted on the original press, it would hang on the wall and conduit would come in from all the presses.

Chuck,

Your story reminds me of a similar story where a guy check a bunch of fuses and marked them 50 ohm, 200 ohm, 75 ohm etc.. My buddy asked the parts guy how could the fuses be labeled in resistance? After some discuession the parts guy took one out of the bin and laid it down on the static free work bench and sure enough it read 50 ohms just like the label said. Then my buddy took the meter leads and zipped one back and fourth on the bench swinging the meter display up and down.

This poor guy poor carefully measued, sorted, labled, inventoried, and restocked 200+ fuses.

OK, Back to the Pictures...

We quoted rebuilding this scary looking bottle labeler recently...

quality_not1.jpg

quality_not.jpg

quality_not2.jpg

quality_not3.jpg

It was probably pretty NICE when it was new. Too bad it's not new anymore.
They didn't like our price quote. Hopefully, they don't decide to use it 'as is'... :eek:

beerchug

-Eric

I hate things like that old bottle labeler. It likely was indeed nice when it was new but it was allowed to get into that kind of condition through neglect. We have received in machines before that were built in the 60s that still looked as nice and neat as the day they were built except for the relay dust.

Anyone seen a panel built before nylon tie-wraps? We had a machine that we have been running for the twenty years I've been with the company that still had the wire bundles tied with string. We finally pulled it offline a couple of months ago to be rebuilt, but that thing was like going back in a time machine.

And I want to clear up my remark about skill level earlier. that wasn't too accurate. It was a lack of training, not skill. We of course explained what was going on and he enjoyed a laugh or two as well at the situation.

volts and old stuff!

ChuckM said:

Not that I wish to see anyone hurt, but it is that first taste of 277 that makes them talk to themselves.

You guys stateside have got it cushy, try 560VDC while in a steel contactor house (no the ancient mechanical breaker did not trip). That woke me up, but it was 17 yrs ago and I'm OK now....MOOOO!!

Old steelworks systems would make your eyes pop out - 32000hp MG sets providing controls for mill motors, anyone heard of MAG AMP or Ward Leonard? My instructor at college at the time was 30+yrs older than me and didn't believe me!!Ah, happy days...

Kennyb

560VDC - ouch! That's far too much for me. I still hate the taste when I lick both terminals of a PP3 battery.

I can never remember - perhaps you electrical experts can help me - is it the electrons or the holes which cause the pain?

I'll stick with software if you don't mind. A service pack has never hurt anybody.

Regards

Ken.

Re: volts and old stuff!

kennyb said:

try 560VDC while in a steel contactor house

I had a little accident about 15 years ago, that I don't really like admitting to, mainly because it was my own stupid fault.

I was working on a class 33 locomotive, which at the time was attached to a load bank for static testing. I removed the covers from the traction motor bus-bars and promtly clipped on the four clamp meters I had with me, I was measuring the current that each motor was pulling. Unfortunately two of the meters did not work, so rather than go back to the stores to draw out two more meters I decided to use the two that did work by unclipping them from one bus-bar and clipping them to another while the power was on. That was not a good idea!! I unclipped one meter, then because I was kneeling down I lost my balance and fell against the bus bars!!! 1000v DC is not at all nice :eek:

That little episode scared the pants off me!! I was lucky to be alive!!

Paul

I still have, and, if I want to really p*** off the boss,use a few rolls of Waxed Lacing Tape...it makes the nicest looking door panels, but they had better be right before you lace them!!! Once you get used to doing them, they go faster then tiewraps, and don't have those little sharp knuckle cutters.
I had the joy of crawling and climbing all over a 1916 barge-mounted 150 ton Luffing crane when I was in Portland,Or a few weeks ago...the local kids have mostly smashed and gutted it, but what a fine piece of equiptment...in one of the stern Capstan lockers was an inspection tag on a DC reversing contactor, put there by a US Navy Inspector in 1953...She had been built w/ steam powered DC generators, but refitted at some point w/ a 6 cyl Budda /DC genset.
All the winches were Westinghouse DC drives...4 decks of them, plus the luffing drives and the turntable drive...too bad it looked like she was heading for the breaking yard...I will post some pics when I get them back.

David