Control Panel Pictures: Not So Good

Being fairly new at this company when they found they now had a PLC programmer/troubleshooter in house they wanted me to troublshoot a piece of equipment that recently stopped working. It's simple enough, it makes wooden wedges and the saw quit moving foreward, likely a bad sensor or air solonoid, etc. But I opened the cabinet and saw this!

WedgeMaker.jpg

WedgeMakerBox1.jpg

wedgemakerbox2.jpg

Hi Glenn,

lol....I'm sure I've been on jobs also wired by this guy ...is that an electromechanical timer I can see hanging in the bottom left hand corner?

Kevin

I'm looking at these pictures and thinking that you guys are very spoiled! You should see some of the very old stuff that has been purchased second, third, or more hand in sawmills and we are expected to make it work. I'll see if I can get some pictures.

Eric

BIGE said:
You should see some of the very old stuff that has been purchased second, third, or more hand in sawmills and we are expected to make it work.

Pfffffftttt!

On a Thursday I was told a new oven would be here and that it had to be installed and running before Monday when the owner would be in to see it running.

New Oven? No problem.

When the truck got there, it was in fact a very old used and abused oven that was sold at auction and dismantled with a torch to get it out of the building. Problem. We did get it to run by Tuesday though. And two more ovens arrived after that because our sister plants couldn't get theirs running.

ChuckM said:
...it was in fact a very old used and abused oven that was sold at auction and dismantled with a torch to get it out of the building.

I guess you failed to realize the many possible definitions of the word "new", Chuck... :D
  • new adj. - Recently obtained or acquired.
I've worked on LOTS of "new" equipment too... :rolleyes:

beerchug

-Eric

P.S. GREAT pictures, Glenn... (y)

Ouch!!

I have to chuckle at these pictures. The problem is world wide and haunts electricians like the smell of stale beer in a bar.
As for the word "new", it is like the word "TIME". It is a relative term. New to us. :) -----> usually means "we got this great deal from somone upgrading".

Bruce.

From the photo that Glenn took, one thing surprises me.
Such a lousy wiring (understatement) but there is a safety relay (Pilz) installed! :D

Nothing compared to Glenn's, but his pictures reminded me to go and snap a photo of our blister pack sealer. This one had all the contactors 'dislodged' when we got it. I re-mounted them to the panel, but one of these days I have to give the rest of this some attention... :nodi:

[attachment]

Notice the addition of the 'auxiliary' inline fuseholders. They are wired in place of the two upper right fuseblocks. I guess they ran out of 13/32" x 1½" fuses?... :unsure:

I love their extensive use of wire markers and how the components are so clearly labeled... :rolleyes:

Oh, and the wires that exit out the back (THROUGH the panel, no less!) happen to be routed through sealtite. Did they use stranded wire? Nope, they're all solid... banghead

beerchug

-Eric

blisterpack.jpg