Converting from LM90 tp Proficy machine Language

koliza1

Once I convert from LM90 to Proficy, is that program backward compatible as well? If so, how do you get around that?
Thank you

After you convert the Logicmaster program to Proficy Machine Edition and send the converted program to the PLC, you will no longer be able to use Logicmaster to monitor or edit the PLC program.

You could send the original Logicmaster program to the PLC, but why would you want to? If you make changes to the program using Proficy Machine Edition and they work out to your satisfaction you would have to duplicate the changes to the Logicmaster program in order to keep using it.

So, once I convert it to proficy, if the program doesn't work as desired, so sending the original Logicmaster program to plc should work fine? sorry if its a repetitive question. I am just trying to figure out the whole thing out before I create any big problem.

So, once I convert it to proficy, if the program doesn't work as desired, so sending the original Logicmaster program to plc should work fine? sorry if its a repetitive question. I am just trying to figure out the whole thing out before I create any big problem.
Maybe it would be a better plan to save a 'Backup' of the unedited Project in PME and reload that if your edit does not work as planned?

I am a newbie to both LM90 and proficy. I am interning at a power plant where we make pipes.

SO, I have a main PLC run by LM90-30 (version9.4)which communicates with 3 other PLC, so converting the LM90-30 to Proficy (version 7.0), will I have to convert each LM90 that is designed for 3 separate PLC plus the main PLC? I mean how will make sure if they are communicating with each other after the conversion?

And is there any hardware configurations as well? I believe we are using CPU364.

Thank you for being patient with me :)

will I have to convert each LM90 that is designed for 3 separate PLC plus the main PLC?
Yes
how will make sure if they are communicating with each other after the conversion?
Since I can't see your program, this is only speculation, but I expect the one you are calling the main PLC is the master of the communications with the other three. Search the program for COMMREQ instructions to find the area of the program that handles communications. Refer to the manual GFK-1084 for details about series 90-30 Ethernet communications.
And is there any hardware configurations as well?
You can include the hardware configuration in the conversion process.
I believe we are using CPU364
That CPU model has been obsolete for a long time. It may be difficult to replace if it fails.

I need to add to this:
The CPU364 does Ethernet Global Data, so that would have been the most efficient way for them to be communicating to each other but as Steve says if that is not used look for COMMREQs.

Also not only is the CPU364 obsolete and has been replaced by the IC693CPU374 or the lesser memory version the IC693CPU372 but the whole line is actively being replaced by the PAC RX3i family.

GE currently has a special going on to 'Trade In" your old hardware for the new RX3i. I highly suggest that you recommend the company you are interning for take advantage of this before it expires.
GE has special pricing on the RX3i components plus for a short time you can get a $500 rebate if you return the replaced CPU, Power supply and Chassis they are in.
Contact your local GE supplier for details.

Check this for more information on converting.

Steve and Russ:
So I have created a test file in lm90 to import it to proficy. after I do that, I get the following errors:

Error 8304: Fatal overlap %I00001 - %I00080 [Rack 0, Slot 1, Ethernet: Status Address: '%I00001 - %I0080']

Error 8304: Fatal overlap %I00033 - %I00048 [Rack 0, Slot 2, Settings: Reference Address:'%I00033 - %I00048']

Error 8300: Invalid configuration for IC693CPU364 module [Rack 0, Slot 1]

Error 8300: Invalid configuration for IN16 module [Rack 0, Slot 2]

Thank you for your help

Did you import the hardware configuration from LM90 to Proficy? Going from memory it is either a separate operation or a box you need to check.

The errors are telling you that the 80 bits of status information about the Ethernet port which have been addressed to %I0001 - %I0080 overlap with the addresses assigned to the discrete input module in rack 0, slot 2 (%I0033 - %I0048).

If I were in your place I would compare the hardware configuration in the original Logicmaster file with the hardware configuration in Proficy. If all else fails, you can manually edit the Proficy hardware configuration.

Hi steve, I was able to fix the errors.
I have another question to u. So I am working with a test file in lm90. I can communicate with the plc when the serial port is connected but somehow I can't communicate when I switch to Ethernet. I did the I/O config with the CPU 364 and specified the IP address, subnet mask, and gateway IP. Do I have to do any other config to communicate with PLC. Thank you for you help.

In your ME logic...
Highlight the "Controller Name".
Go to "Inspector" and near the bottom you need to change the "Physical Port" to Ethernet and set the IP address that matches the CPU364 IP you already downloaded (you will not have to do this again). It is probably set to the com port you were using.

So I am working with a test file in lm90.
Are you trying to use LM90 to communicate via Ethernet? If so, why? Have you ever used Logicmaster to communicate via Ethernet? If not, there is a somewhat involved process you have to go through to set up an Ethernet link. Once you have configured the link you have to select it as the communications channel. I can no longer cite from memory the function keys you need to use to get to the proper menus.

It is much easier to use Machine Edition as Nathan describes.