danfoss vlt2800

pmac10

not strictly a plc question, but wondered if anyone could help, i want to connect my laptop usb or serial port to a rs485 port on a danfoss vlt2800 vsd, ive found a usb to rs485 cable which requires the user to terminate the 485 end as required, which in my case would be 9pin subD, anyone know the pinout for this port or is it a standard i've missed,find it strange danfoss don't seem to sell a cable for this.

thanks for that Eric, i've been quick google searching for 24 hours and have downloaded that pdf (twice), i initially thought that the page you refer to was for a LCP2 programming unit only but i don't see a reason why it shouldn't work for what i'm doing, i,ve had bad experiences with certain manufacturers selling perhaps 10 different devices specifying rs232 comms but needing 10 different cables to program them, i'm also thinking if i could make this myself,
thanks again,
pete.

Hi Pmac10!

I can see that there is a ÂŁ50 price difference on the two, but the ADAM has a 3000Vdc isolation protection!

And dealing with drives that could come in handy, if not to protect your PC then to protect you!

The ADAM has never failed my department, so I would strongly suggest you to buy that one.

It also has the advantage that you can du Modbus RTU and Profibus with it.

Best regards,

Michal_dk

thanks for taking an interest Michal, i opted for the cheaper usb device and it works a treat, this thing will not get serious use, i got caught out on a breakdown with a danfoss drive (most of the plant is omron), where no matter what i tried i could not get the replacement to work, had to write down hundreds of parameters from the old drive and set on the new one and vowed it would never happen again. i now have all the different danfoss drive parameter sets stored on our laptop so if i need to replace one i just need to look for its file on the laptop and send it to the new drive.