FactoryTalk Linx (FTView Studio Communications Setup) Freezing

phuz

Looks to be my week for FactoryTalk issues.o_O

When trying to set up a new topic in FTView Studio communications, the Communications Dialog freezes when I open it. I rebooted twice and also installed the latest (SEP 2021) patches. No joy.

Anyone else running into this?

Last edited:
ME or SE?

Maybe, in the application, delete the communication server and re-add it. You can right click on FactoryTalk Linx in your application (one level above communication setup) to delete the server. Then you have to right click on your project name to add a new server.

ME or SE?

Maybe, in the application, delete the communication server and re-add it. You can right click on FactoryTalk Linx in your application (one level above communication setup) to delete the server. Then you have to right click on your project name to add a new server.

This is ME.
When I right-click on the FT Linx in FTView Studio, and then click server status, it shows localhost and Active; yet when I try to open FactoryTalk Linx Browser, I get this error:
Code:
FactoryTalk Linx[localhost] is not started or started with error, please check FactoryTalk Linx and restart Network Browser.

Further, when I delete the FT Linx instance in the project, and re-add it, I notice that clicking on the Ethernet does not auto-browse the new items (I have a new 5069-L320ER on the network that it's not seeing).
It used to auto-discover these.

It isn't unusual to need to tell it to start (right-click Start Browsing) browsing the Ethernet network.

My suggestion would have also been to delete and re-add the Linx server. My next suggestion would be to access the Windows Services and tell it to restart (or Stop then Start) the FT Linx service.

OG

It isn't unusual to need to tell it to start (right-click Start Browsing) browsing the Ethernet network.

My suggestion would have also been to delete and re-add the Linx server. My next suggestion would be to access the Windows Services and tell it to restart (or Stop then Start) the FT Linx service.

OG

But I was completely unable to get the FactoryTalk Linx Browser application to even start. As mentioned, I already removed and re-added the Linx server to no avail. Tried restarting services, repairing the installation, more reboots. Nothing.

That being said, I was on v6.20. I downloaded v6.21 and now we're up and running. If a new version wasn't available, I would've done a complete FTLinx uninstall/reinstall. What a strange issue since I haven't made any changes to the system recently.