Factorytalk view ME creating runtime fails

That definitely makes me think it's an issue with the relationship between the software and the OS... The next thing I would try if possible is moving the apa to a different computer if you have access to one and trying on that, or maybe uploading it here to see if someone else can create a runtime in 8.0 with it. If that is successful, you might need to look at doing something as drastic as a full reinstall of your OS and all the software. It's a kick in the pants, but usually as a last ditch option it takes care of most problems.

Have you checked the versions of all your other rockwell software to make sure they are all compatible with version 8.2 of FTVME?

One more idea, since you are able to make a 7.0 runtime. You could try to restore from the 7.0 mer instead of from a full APA and then attempt to make an 8.0 runtime from THAT new program. That should verify that the problem is or isn't program specific. Also creating a new program entirely and just making a single test screen and trying to make an 8.0 mer from that. Both of those would help narrow down if the problem is program specific or has to do with your software/OS