Figuring out some Timer Instruction Issues - Micrologix 1200

...the operation is similar to your second simulation where you use a "Program Start" relay to turn on B3:4/11.
I am finally pleased to know that what you are really trying to do is some simple timer oscillator logic. From you first program, with all the mis-directed logic and clutter, I found it almost impossible to figure out what you were really trying to do. It you would have just described it, I could have had the solution in a few minutes.

Anyways, I see it is pretty simple to do it using just conditional statements, so I think I'll do that.. Thanks
Yes, try not to use so many latch and unlatch relays. Those just confuse the problem, and create clutter in your program. For every Latch, you must have an Unlatch (two instruction were only one is really needed). If you use timer bits that go on and off based on time, you will not need to use Latch and Unlatch. That applies to 90% of the beginner programs that we see here - Latch and Unlatch are severely over-used.

If you want to do the oscillator with one timer, here's how.

MIKE'S TIMER ISSUES Rev 2.jpg

Last edited:
CodeSys will allow you to write code for PLCs in C.

Then you need some hardware that will accept the code.

Or you could use TinyClr

or just use a PC with an I/O card. Beckoff is one popular manufacturer.

I prefer to encourage PC guys to stay "over there" where they are comfortable. There is enough weird PLC code currently.

I just wish the people who write this creative code would have to support it for free, at 3am, on a holiday.

That level of accountability would have people motivated to write more solid, easy to maintain code.

I can't wait until I start writing PC code, this should be fun.

If the OP could just add some indirect addressing in there somewhere it would be even better.

After you have an output instruction on a rung add a branch and another output instruction. Now right-click on the lower left corner of the added branch. You should see 'Extend Branch Down' in the box of options which appears. Select it. You should see the branch continuing straight down without a stair-step. You can do this as many times as you wish. This is also true for parallel constructions toward the left side of the rung.