First Siemens Project, A little guidance needed.

Shiro485

Hello all,
This is my first Siemens project, I am familiar with Rockwell, but just a lil lost on the way Siemens does things.

I am using TIA portal v12 with step 7 professional and Win CC
I am not sure how the blocks work together, and I can't seem to find a clear explanation how.

For instance in my hmi application I created a list of alarms under the hmi alarms window.

Now from what I understand I also created an Alarm database, and a function block for the conditions of each alarm. I write the logic for the condition of the alarm and link it to the bit in the alarm db I created.

When I go to my hmi alarms screen on the win cc project and go through the alarm db to link the hmi alarm with its corresponding partner in the alarm db none of the stuff shows up. If I browse to a tag database those are all there......

So do I also have to create a tag database of the alarms? That seems very tedious and not necessary. I am sure its simpler than I have figured out so far.

Im knee deep in this project and could use some guidance from someone more experienced. Once I learn the nuances of how this software works I should be in good shape.

Thank you Kindly for any help you can offer.

Best Regards,
Brian

Hello all,
This is my first Siemens project, I am familiar with Rockwell, but just a lil lost on the way Siemens does things.

I am using TIA portal v12 with step 7 professional and Win CC
I am not sure how the blocks work together, and I can't seem to find a clear explanation how.

For instance in my hmi application I created a list of alarms under the hmi alarms window.

Now from what I understand I also created an Alarm database, and a function block for the conditions of each alarm. I write the logic for the condition of the alarm and link it to the bit in the alarm db I created.

When I go to my hmi alarms screen on the win cc project and go through the alarm db to link the hmi alarm with its corresponding partner in the alarm db none of the stuff shows up. If I browse to a tag database those are all there......

So do I also have to create a tag database of the alarms? That seems very tedious and not necessary. I am sure its simpler than I have figured out so far.

Im knee deep in this project and could use some guidance from someone more experienced. Once I learn the nuances of how this software works I should be in good shape.

Thank you Kindly for any help you can offer.

Best Regards,
Brian

In TIA, we have a provision to link db values from wincc tag table...
Steps:
Open wincc/HMI tag table
Select the tag type -> internal/external
Select the PLC/station from where you want to use the tags

then you can see al tags and can associate it with the alarm data.

Hope it is helpful

-suresh

just precaution Siemens HMI and PLC are two different processors that handle "Endians" differently. I am not sure if Allen Bradley is same or not I have not had the pleasure of programming with it, just a heads up.