FTV ME "programmed in version" help??

I had the same issue. Works great for the *.acd. I tried dragging both the *.mer and or the VERSION_INFORMATION extracted file and didn't have any luck.

I was just questioning the ability to do this last week when I was trying to determine what version we had of a FT ME file in question.

I'm looking into it. I could make it check the VERSION_INFORMATION file too, I was hoping to save you the trouble of unzipping it. I'll throw that in there too.

The program extracts just the VERSION_INFORMATION file and saves it to C:\mer_ver so that my program can read the file. One of two things is happening: Ether my program is trying to read it before the file is extracted or it is being denied from saving it there. I'm going to save it to your user documents.

I made it a little hard to detect what is going on because immediately after I'm done with the file I delete it and the folder so as not to muck up your machine with unnecessary files. I'll create a log to document where it is going wrong.

My user account does ask for permission to run for v1.0, but not v1.1. Also, I didn't have much luck with v1.1. In v1.0, I was able to use it to get versions for the .ACD files.

I sent you a PM.

Edit: I also should have mentioned that you have to actually drop the file now. This prevented it happening multiple times if you were dragging it in and out of the area.

Last edited:
Thanks for the effort there!!!
When I drop apa files in - I get 7zip is denied access. Have tried on my win7 64 bit machine and VM 32 bit and get the same result. How do I change the access??

Thanks for the effort there!!!
When I drop apa files in - I get 7zip is denied access. Have tried on my win7 64 bit machine and VM 32 bit and get the same result. How do I change the access??

Are you using V1.1?
Did you have the problem with V1?
What if you navigate to 7zip program files directory and set 7z.exe to run as administrator?

If you want to enhance it for older versions - I found these codes for versions prior to 3.2.
ME 2.1 - 030120
ME 3.0 - 030320
ME 3.1 - 03030A

I had trouble getting it to work until I manually created the c:\mer_ver folder and ran everything in there. I think corporate security was blocking it from creating the directory and a few other issues. This is extremely useful as I work on things from 2.1 to 7.x and there was no way to tell what version anything was until you did this. Thanks for your effort.

If you want to enhance it for older versions - I found these codes for versions prior to 3.2.
ME 2.1 - 030120
ME 3.0 - 030320
ME 3.1 - 03030A

I had trouble getting it to work until I manually created the c:\mer_ver folder and ran everything in there. I think corporate security was blocking it from creating the directory and a few other issues. This is extremely useful as I work on things from 2.1 to 7.x and there was no way to tell what version anything was until you did this. Thanks for your effort.

Sweet, thanks for the feedback, I'll add those other versions. I was figuring that there was some security/permission thing going on, we have UAC almost disabled here so I haven't had any trouble.

Did you have trouble with V1.1? I changed it to do the work in your Documents directory rather than the C drive directly, I figured there would be less of a permission there.

edit: if worse comes to worst, you can extract the MER/APA and drop the VERSION_INFORMATION file directly on the form to see what version it is.

edit2: I also got rid of the "\mer_ver" directory so it extracts the file directly to you Documents folder, then deletes it when it's done.

Last edited:
Ok. Next question...Is there a way to read whether the FT ME was created in the 32 bit or 64 bit version?

There must be a way because FTV knows it when you restore it. Unfortunately I don't have FTV installed in a 64bit environment so I can't make runtimes to figure it out. I don't want to install it either because I my registry doesn't deserve it.

If you (or someone) could get me a runtime that is created in 64bit, maybe I could investigate this. Maybe we could get lucky and the version_information file would reveal this information. (like starts with 06 instead of 03, that would be sweet!)

Great utility. Works for me under Win7 32 bit. Not that you haven't done enough work already but, my customer uses SE Local Station. The application manager makes .apa files for this too. The utility said that the version information was not found. Utility said this "This is often caused by 7zip being denied access to extract the MER/APA."

Another thought. You can also encrypt the APA files. So I guess in this instance, you couldn't get the version information. Thanks again.

Great utility. Works for me under Win7 32 bit. Not that you haven't done enough work already but, my customer uses SE Local Station. The application manager makes .apa files for this too. The utility said that the version information was not found. Utility said this "This is often caused by 7zip being denied access to extract the MER/APA."

Another thought. You can also encrypt the APA files. So I guess in this instance, you couldn't get the version information. Thanks again.

I've never used SE. Could you send me a SE APA? You don't have to post a link here, you can PM it to me. I assure you that I don't care about the contents, nor will I look at it other than the file structure.

I've never used SE. Could you send me a SE APA? You don't have to post a link here, you can PM it to me. I assure you that I don't care about the contents, nor will I look at it other than the file structure.

I made a sample file with nothing proprietary in it. Unfortunately its still 1.5 MB., and too big to send. Would be could to be able to tell the difference between an ME APA and SE APA files.