FTV ME "programmed in version" help??

I made a sample file with nothing proprietary in it. Unfortunately its still 1.5 MB., and too big to send. Would be could to be able to tell the difference between an ME APA and SE APA files.

I'll PM you my email if you want to send it that way.

I did a MER in a 64bit VM for FT View ME 6.1 and the number it gave was 03060A so you cannot tell if it is a 64 bit or a 32 bit. There might be something in another part that would tell you but not in the VERSION_INFORMATION file.

I did a MER in a 64bit VM for FT View ME 6.1 and the number it gave was 03060A so you cannot tell if it is a 64 bit or a 32 bit. There might be something in another part that would tell you but not in the VERSION_INFORMATION file.

I know one way but I don't like it (although I might have no other choice). In the \tag folder I can look for a .db.wat (32bit) or a .ldf (64bit). I think these are the tag database files. Ultimately what I think I'll have to do is extract the entire MER/APA. What is a bummer is that the directory structure has changed over the years so I'll have to look in several different locations once it's extracted.

For example one project I'm looking at it's in \HMIServer\TAG where another project is in \Tag

No biggie though I suppose.

Thanks for the effort there!!!
When I drop apa files in - I get 7zip is denied access. Have tried on my win7 64 bit machine and VM 32 bit and get the same result. How do I change the access??

I'm in the same boat on my 64bit machine, with MER files. I have UAC set to "Never Notify". Still works on ACD files. So same results as v1.0

dmroeder said:
I know one way but I don't like it (although I might have no other choice). In the \tag folder I can look for a .db.wat (32bit) or a .ldf (64bit). I think these are the tag database files...

Dustin,

Excellent work so far. Just some clarity for you on the tag databases...

I'm not sure where you are seeing a .db.wat file? I've not come across that before. For a 32-bit OS, the Watcom Tag Database file should be just a .db file. The default path to the .db file is...

32-bit - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI projects\<project_name>\TAG\<project_name>.db

For a 64-bit OS, the Tag Database is an SQL 2008 R2 .mdf database file. The .ldf file you mentioned is a Transaction Log file for the Server. It allows you to step back to any point in time logged in that file. The default path to the .mdf file is the same as where you found the .ldf file...

64-bit - C:\Users\Public\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI projects\<project_name>\TAG\<project_name>.mdf

Hope that helps a little.

G.

Where do you see this message? In my program or from Windows?

In your program. Says something about a "likely cause" for a failed extraction of the mer is 7zip being denied access.

Sorry, I'd have taken some screen shots but only had a couple of minutes to try it today.

Dustin,

Excellent work so far. Just some clarity for you on the tag databases...

I'm not sure where you are seeing a .db.wat file? I've not come across that before. For a 32-bit OS, the Watcom Tag Database file should be just a .db file. The default path to the .db file is...

32-bit - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI projects\<project_name>\TAG\<project_name>.db

For a 64-bit OS, the Tag Database is an SQL 2008 R2 .mdf database file. The .ldf file you mentioned is a Transaction Log file for the Server. It allows you to step back to any point in time logged in that file. The default path to the .mdf file is the same as where you found the .ldf file...

64-bit - C:\Users\Public\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI projects\<project_name>\TAG\<project_name>.mdf

Hope that helps a little.

G.

Oh great, thanks for the information, that does help a lot. I was just comparing files trying to figure this out. There is a .wat.db file in the first project that I investigated but it didn't match the project name so I'm not sure how it got there. I'm going to have to be careful of this when determining the architecture.

In your program. Says something about a "likely cause" for a failed extraction of the mer is 7zip being denied access.

Sorry, I'd have taken some screen shots but only had a couple of minutes to try it today.
No screenshots necessary, this error comes from the file being created in a version that I had not accounted for in code. That was the default message if I didn't know what version it was. I have modified the message to say what really happened (I got the version information but couldn't make sense of it). I think I have all the versions accounted for now. I'll publish it soon.

Last edited:
Alright, I put up a v1.2. I had to do some rework so hopefully I didn't break anything. You should be able to drag/drop the file from drives other than your local one. Here's what happens when an APA/MER is dropped on the form:

It creates a directory in \Documents\mer_ver.
The MER/APA is copied to the new directory
It's extracted.
Looks for the necessary files to determine information about it
Removes the \mer_ver directory.

I did have instances of it got the machine architecture wrong (x86 vs x64), I'm not sure why yet, I have to investigate this more. I also changed some messages because I realized that they didn't very well represent the root problem.

Same Link

Hey Dustin, Thanks mate!!!

That is brilliant - exactly what I need. Happy to report V1.2 working a treat on my .apa's !!!

I came across 1 file that didn't work - can email that to you for testing. Ran 30 others thru you're software, and all good.

(y)(y)

Hey Dustin, Thanks mate!!!

That is brilliant - exactly what I need. Happy to report V1.2 working a treat on my .apa's !!!

I came across 1 file that didn't work - can email that to you for testing. Ran 30 others thru you're software, and all good.

(y)(y)

Yeah, send it if you can. That would be great. Glad it's working for you. I knew it had to be possible, just hadn't committed the time to figuring it out until now.

Version 1.2 is able to report back the correct created-in version on each of about 20 mer files that I threw at it. Awesome!

One minor thing, though, it reported that all of the files were created in an x64 machine, which I'm assuming means 64-bit, and that x86 would indicated 32-bit? All of my mer files had been created in the 32-bit XP VM (VMWare Workstation 9.0). This is a neat addition to this utility, as we occasionally have contractors who somehow STILL haven't gotten the word about creating 5.1 runtimes in a 64-bit environment!

Yeah, I knew that the 32/64 thing was kind of hit and miss. I'll find a better way to detect this. Just purely going off of the database files apparently doesn't work. Or maybe I just got it backwards.

This is brilliant! So far it's worked on everything I've thrown at it, except for one mer where it didn't know whether it was 32 or 64 bit (I think it was a 64 bit VM).

I can see this coming in handy a lot.