Heathrow Terminal 5 baggage system

L D[AR2P#0.0]

Lifetime Supporting Member
I wonder if there will be any posts concerning the Heathrow Terminal 5 baggage system after the reported 400,000 hours of software design ? Anyone familiar with the architecture - for example is it all Rockwell or Siemens or etc. or a mix of everything ?

I just heard on CNN that Heathrow Terminal 5 baggage system had lots of problems on the first day.

L D[AR2 said:
I wonder if there will be any posts concerning the Heathrow Terminal 5 baggage system after the reported 400,000 hours of software design ? Anyone familiar with the architecture - for example is it all Rockwell or Siemens or etc. or a mix of everything ?

I worked on it for some time before leaving for Canada.

Siemens Step 7, all 400 series PLC's. PILZ safety PLC's. All distributed Profibus and ASi and WinCC SCADA.

There are some additional intelligent systems for some functions, such as fast routing on carts running at 10m/sec etc.

L D[AR2 said:

I'm not sure but I can bet that there's some poor software guy having a really really bad week (and I betcha he'll be working the weekend too!)

;)

uptown47 said:
I'm not sure but I can bet that there's some poor software guy having a really really bad week (and I betcha he'll be working the weekend too!)

;)
I know one of the guys who was involved in implementing the PILZ system, might just drop him a mail... :ROFLMAO:

Paulus said:
I know one of the guys who was involved in implementing the PILZ system, might just drop him a mail... :ROFLMAO:

I knew them all :) One is still there, I was going to give him a call... seeing as he's one of the very few left, it must be his fault.. :ROFLMAO:

Don't blame the poor bl***dy programmer...

"During the inadequate training days prior to the opening, any staff questions were bounced back with 'I don't know' " .. a baggage handler.

operator training, always the weak point of any new PLC system.

Last edited:
Denver International Airport

A former coworker of mine was very heavy into programming and commissioning PLC's for Denver International when it was being built. He worked for http://www.cage-inc.com/ It's been a long time ago but I believe he told me that the plcs were Square D. It must have been fun working for them because he left the company I was at to go back to work for them. Most problems I see are not due to programming but to the intial design of the system is not that great to begin with. Good programming can make up for bad mechanical design to an extent.

mountainbikedude said:
Good programming can make up for bad mechanical design to an extent.

But don't let the mechanical guys hear you say that :)

I just returned from a two week trip to Mexico to replace some motor contactors with VFDs, a very simple task really until I found out that the mechanical guys had underpowered the electrical to begin. They thought I could make up for it with some kind of magic (make a 1hp motor behave like a 3hp).

From what I saw on Sky News, it seems that the main problem was some sort of barcode reader on the baggage conveyor that is meant to read the barcode sticker on the bags as they go past and route them to the correct plane...

Seems it wasn't sufficiently tested...

Probably the same old problem..
Customer: "Can the system walk on water?"
Salesman: "Yes, no problem at all"

..Back at the office
Salesman to Programmer: "By the way.. I promised the customer the system would walk on water. Have a nice weekend, see you on Monday".

:D

uptown47 said:
From what I saw on Sky News, it seems that the main problem was some sort of barcode reader on the baggage conveyor that is meant to read the barcode sticker on the bags as they go past and route them to the correct plane...

very unlikely, they use SICK BCR's, as used all over the world, very reliable.

More likely the higher end computers that receive the information and responds with routing information.

I can see the poor PLC's getting blamed when all they do is run conveyors and pass info read to the higher level and respond to instructions from above.