Changing PV terminal password

James Mcquade

Hi all,

i have a panelview plus terminal 2711P-T12W22D9P terminal
with different user names and passwords.
Everyone seems to know the maintenance password and we want to change it.

i have the software and the mer file and can create the app using the manager app. this was a purchased piece of equipment and the OEM has the original file.

Do i have the ability to change the password or do i need the original file?
If i can change the user names / passwords, what is the procedure?
i have never dealt with user names and passwords before.

thanks in advance,
james

I am not sure but the user manual seems to say it may be possible as long as the original HMI developer allowed access to the Password button

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/viewme-um004_-en-e.pdf

"
You can use the Password button to change password at runtime. Any
password changes made at runtime are saved in the .mer file.
The Password button supports two modes of runtime operations:
• Allows the user to modify their own password
• Allows the user to modify any user password
Tip: When designing the application in FactoryTalk View Studio, you must consider which
users and groups can access this button, and how to control that access.
The Password button operational mode is configured in FactoryTalk View
Studio, and cannot be changed at runtime
"

Starting on pg 235 it explains how to change password provided the "Password" button is available

Assuming security was implemented fully inside ME using the basic Runtime Security features...

After converting back from the .mer, in the Explorer pane of FactoryTalk View Studio (left-hand side by default) at the bottom go to System > Users and Groups > Users > [user name], double-click (or right-click and select properties), then hit 'Reset Password' and enter the desired new password. Once done create the .mer and download to the panel.

I do not believe the username can be 'changed' in this fashion, but a functional change could be produced by removing the user from Runtime Security (noting any Login/Logout Macro and security codes), deleting the user, then creating a user with the new name and adding it with the same macros and codes set.

For allowing end user to change passwords while running without needing the software, see A_G's response.