How to wire a 24V Actuator with reverse polarities across motor to PLC

Reply from Manufacturer:

There is a micro switch inside the actuator. When the actuator is all the way in. The BLACK wire and the BROWN wire is make connection. When the actuator is all the way out. The BLACK wire and the WHITE wire is make connection.

This to me suggests 2 contacts/switches? Agreed?

This is the correct assumption.
I.E.
position one = Black (Common) - Brown - end pos. reached
position two = Black (Common) - White - opposite end pos. reached

position one = Black (Common) - Brown - end pos. reached
position two = Black (Common) - White - opposite end pos. reached
If the above is correct, then the wiring logic is not too hard. Here is one method.

| O1 |
| Forward Enable LS2 Input Actuator Forward |
|--| |-------------|/|----------------( )--------|
| |
| O2 |
| Reverse Enable LS1 Input Actuator Reverse |
|--| |-------------|/|----------------( )--------|
| |

| |
| PLC Output O1 Relay R1 |
|--| |--------------------------------( )--------|
| |
| PLC Output O2 Relay R2 |
| |

+12 Volts Actuator Supply -12 Volts
| |
| R1-1 MOTOR R1-2 |
|--| |------+--------( )------+--------| |-------|
| | | |
| R2-1 | | |
|--| |------|------------------+ |
| | R2-2 |
| +---------------------------| |-------|
| |

Depending on circumstances, if it needs to fail in current state then the two relay method would be my choice, if it needs to fail open or closed then I would look into getting a battery return actuator. We use some with 4-20 feedback so that the plc sees more than just open and closed.

If you want to minimize the wiring, keep the limit switch wiring at the actuator motor by connecting similar to below. This circuit requires 3 wires running from actuator back to PLC control box. LS1 and LS2 can be wired like this because they have one common wire. Motor will stop when it hits limit of travel in each direction.

| PLC Output 1 |
| Forward Enable Actuator Forward |
| |
| PLC Output 2 |
| Reverse Enable Actuator Reverse |
| |

| Forward |
| PLC Output O1 Relay R1 |
| Reverse |
| PLC Output O2 Relay R2 |
| |

+12 Volts Actuator Supply -12 Volts
| |
| R1-1 LS2 MOTOR R1-2 |
|--| |----|/|----+---( )------+--------| |-------|
| w | | |
| R2-1 bk| | |
|--| |-----------|------------+ |
| | LS1 R2-2 |
| +---|/|---------------| |-------|
| br |

Hi Guys,

Thanks you so much for all your input. SOme great advice her from you all.

I just confirmed from the manufactuer that there is only a single micro switch internally and it is not adjustable.

You reckon the bext option is to go with the logic provided here?

Thanks

How do you propose wiring (1 Relay/2 Relay 1 Output/2 Output) this based on this:

It should fail in its current state. The position of actuator should never change on a power cut for example.

Least amount of wiring. It would also be great if I could use one Output.

a 4 pole double throw would work with 1 PLC output
MorphuisOgrady, To handle power failure the output power and the actuator power must be from the same source on power fail the actuator would not change states because no power is there to actuate the move however upon power up to avoid timing issues I suggest routing the power to all the actuators through 1 master relay that you turn on after the PLC runs its first scan if you dont have the 1 spare output for this setup your outputs to matain last state on power failure.
Best Regards, Steve

Reply from Manufacturer:

There is a micro switch inside the actuator. When the actuator is all the way in. The BLACK wire and the BROWN wire is make connection. When the actuator is all the way out. The BLACK wire and the WHITE wire is make connection

I just confirmed from the manufactuer that there is only a single micro switch internally and it is not adjustable.
Morphius, something smells. From the above, you must only have a position switch for the IN position. OUT is left to fend for itself. Cheap-o sorry method. How will you know if your 50 locks are open?

Without a limit switch on the OUT position, your motor will keep trying to turn, probably burn out after a short time, unless you add an external switch, or use a PLC timer to control how long each one travels in the OUT direction.

A PLC timer may be a good option, if the travel time for OUT is the same on all 50.

Last edited: