Import tags from controllogix 5000 to panelview

merlinknight

I can't find out how to import the tags i created in rslogix 5000 (controllogix 5555 processor) into the Panelview plus 1000 operator panel. Does anyone know. I am running the RSVIEW Studio ME.
all i see for imports are for rslogix 5 and 500.

Thanks,
Merlin

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can. You have to create them in PV+ seperately.

Sportster

This is how I generally handle this issue when using a single tag database for multiple systems. Export the tags to a .csv (comma separated variable) format. Open it with Excel. Create a new sheet that formats the pertinent tag columns in a manner suitable to each of the other programs. You can find out the format required by each program by exporting tags from them in csv format and looking at the arrangement of the information. Save the reformatted sheet as a .csv and then import it into the HMI software. I don't use RSViewME, but Panelbuilder will let you copy and paste from excel directly into its tag editor. RSView32 will let you export/import a .csv tag file. One of these methods should be possible with RSViewME. You then may have to go back and fill in the blanks.

When dealing with a large system, I create the tag database early on, save it as an .xls and make it the master copy for all the programs. When I need to make changes, I make them on the master copy, and save the individual sheets as .csv files for importing into the other programs that use those tags. This helps keep all devices "on the same page" with regard to tag names and addresses.

You do not import the tags in RSView ME. The tags are stored in the PLC. In the PV+ what you do is reference the shortcut (configured in RSLinx Enterprise) to the PLC, and the address inside the PLC.

I have not done very many of these (ControlLogix and PanelView Plus systems), I am still working on my first one; but I do know that you can directly browse the tags in the PLC program from within RSView ME. You do not need to export the tag database out of the ControlLogix program and then import it into the RSView application. Our distributor helped me set up my first system. I did not understand everything he did, so I downloaded the following documents from Rockwell's Knowledgebase. Maybe these documents can help you too if this is what you meant by importing tags.

A109544732
G87459087
Q47035079
A86134646

Steve Crotty said:
You do not import the tags in RSView ME. The tags are stored in the PLC. In the PV+ what you do is reference the shortcut (configured in RSLinx Enterprise) to the PLC, and the address inside the PLC.
If you don't create an HMI database, you don't get alarming.

I use Excel, too. But, I've got a macro that expands out all my UDTs and imports the elements that I want.

There is a utility from Rockwell that does this, but it doesn't let you set any import rules. You'll still have to enter your tag descriptions, and alarms. It also doesn't take limitations on .csv imports to RSView into account.

AK

Actually, the alarm systems for RSView ME and SE are different. Akreel is right that for RSView SE (or View32), you need to create tags in the HMI database for alarming.

ME is a little bit different. To alarm a tag (either direct reference or in the HMI tag database), you would want to use the Alarm Setup. From the alarm setup, you would first define the tags that will trigger the alarm. When you create a new trigger tag, you can use the Tag Browser to select the tag you want to "alarm."

Hope this helps...
Rick