Information Systems

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I like the way you think Pierre....

I think that I am the most parinoid person alive!!! BUT... you are not Parinoid if they ARE out to get you.

I hope you are not right and I also have thought that senerio out...

I think it is like this...

If I can not make then realize the mistake they would make, thinking that they are going to be able to do with in an IS department. I can only give them the information they need and hope they make the right choice.

As for me, I was looking for a job when I took this one... I don't see it as a problem.

But thanks for the alter thoughts....

When you think of it... isn't it a shame that we have so much back stabbing and sooooo much "I did" and "I can" and "look at me"!!!! scary... whats it all coming too???

My problem with IT guys.

They think it is easy because all their numbers and conditions are repeatable and not real time. Real time events and result data can not only happen quickly but they have noise and are otherwise seldom perfect. IT guys have a bunch of numbers in a file. They can load the file and process the data taken their sweet time. If they don't like the results they can load the file again and change their program until they get it right. I don't think they understand the concept of the weird sh!t bit where bad things happen once a week and are difficult to catch.

Most of us in control do not have the luxury of having static data numbers waiting to be processed. The reason why I say most is that I am a big believer in simulators. The simulators allow me to reproduce the once a week weird events. This lets me process the data more like a IT guy. You see I am trying to make my more difficult world of real time control more like a IT guys almost perfect world.

IT guys should stay out of control until know what they are getting into and know how to simulate your/our imperfect world of realtime control.

This doesn't mean you should ignore the IT guys or treat them with contempt. They may have some good ideas. They usually are pretty good at orgranizing data bases, Ethernet networks, sorting, searching backups and version control. Backups and version control is something that most plant floors know little or nothing about.
Use the IT guys where it makes sense.

The problem with certs (Vetteboy)

The only problem with certifications', and grandfathering is when it is used like the electrical cert process here in Oklahoma. The old dogs get grandfathered and the new hands end up with CHUMP wages while getting "REQUIRED HOURS". The thought is GREAT the implementation is the problem. What areas do you test, how deeply, and how OFTEN. The field changes so VERY FAST that the unqualified, or unwilling drop out soon enough. As far as the use and help of IT/IM folks, get it while you can, they have the brains to do it and some may actually would PREFER to do this type work. I we (at the job) work with whoever we have to to get the job done RIGHT, the first time. Shoot you know how it goes you do what you have to do, to make things RIGHT.