Job Title

dronai

Curious, What is your background ? seems that many Electricians I know, aren't really PLC programmers. They have an understanding for troubleshooting only.

Are most PLC programmers Engineers ?

Are there any Electricians ?

Last edited:
I have been a maintenance technician or electrician working for a single company, and the person doing all of the programming for that facility. I guess that made me the in-house PLC programmer. Now, working for a systems integrator, doing PLC programming for many different companies, I am now the contracted PLC programmer.
I would say most in-house PLC programmers are in the 2 year degree programming class, while most out-of-house (contractor)PLC programmers tend to be in the 4 year degree programming class. From my experience.

My job title is Electrical Engineer. I have a BS in EE and my Journeyman Electrician license (still working on the Master). I do panel layout/design, wiring, process design, PLC programming, pneumatic/hydraulic design and installation and the upgrades and troubleshooting later in life. I'm an in house engineer for a relatively small company. Chose to work here because of how close it was to where I live.

I have been a maintenance technician or electrician working for a single company, and the person doing all of the programming for that facility. I guess that made me the in-house PLC programmer. Now, working for a systems integrator, doing PLC programming for many different companies, I am now the contracted PLC programmer.
I would say most in-house PLC programmers are in the 2 year degree programming class, while most out-of-house (contractor)PLC programmers tend to be in the 4 year degree programming class. From my experience.

First off, thanks for the reply

So you don't do any electrical now right ?

Are you talking about an 2 yr AA degree in computer programming ? or BS 4 yr degree ?

I´m an electronic engineer for a group of companies, the owner doesn´t like to contract integrators, so i´m the one in charge of designing, drawing, programming, trubleshooting, commissioning etc, etc.

My job title is Electrical Engineer. I have a BS in EE and my Journeyman Electrician license (still working on the Master). I do panel layout/design, wiring, process design, PLC programming, pneumatic/hydraulic design and installation and the upgrades and troubleshooting later in life. I'm an in house engineer for a relatively small company. Chose to work here because of how close it was to where I live.

I´m an electronic engineer for a group of companies, the owner doesn´t like to contract integrators, so i´m the one in charge of designing, drawing, programming, trubleshooting, commissioning etc, etc.
Engineering seems to go with the technical requirements of the job.

I'm a lifetime Electrician, who's now studying PLC programming. But I noticed on the electrical forums, the knowledge seems limited.

Just like the licensing issues I'm having. I'm in the industrial side of electricity. I don't get exposed to the Residential/Commercial stuff that makes up 90% of the licensing exams. I did a lot worse on my Journeyman's exam that I had hoped (still passed), and it was because I had little to no exposure to residential electrical during my 4 years as an Apprentice. I'm excellent with control wiring and other industrial things, but there were maybe 5 questions on the whole exam that dealt with anything industrial (A motor start/stop circuit, with a few questions, and the definition of a solenoid.) The reason I'm going after my Master's license is because the company needs one in order to do their own electrical work.

Electricians, especially those licensed, tend to be focused on Residential/Commercial and the building codes. PLCs are like a foreign language to a lot of them. Going to an Electrians' online forum isn't going to get you a large group of people knowledgeable about PLCs.

Just like the licensing issues I'm having. I'm in the industrial side of electricity. I don't get exposed to the Residential/Commercial stuff that makes up 90%
Electricians, especially those licensed, tend to be focused on Residential/Commercial and the building codes. PLCs are like a foreign language to a lot of them. Going to an Electrians' online forum isn't going to get you a large group of people knowledgeable about PLCs.

Yes, I see it as two different job tasks. Electrical trade knowledge, and the contracting side, which is your business strength. Sales ability, etc.

My state, seems to have moved out a lot of it's manufacturing industry to elswhere. Now that I'm interested in industrial controls, and PLC's, I would be better off to live in another state.

Process Computing and Technology Analyst would be my formal title.
I came from the IT side of the world.
My background schooling wise is CompE.

In Sept/Oct 2011 issue of InTech magazine (ISA) which tend to have more of a process control bent.

Most common degrees:

EE (32%
Chem E (10.8%)
Phyics (1.5%)
Other E (4.3%)

Title
Automation/control Engineer - 22%
O&M - 9.1%
Design Engineer - 6.2
I&C Enginer - 5.7%

I am a plc programmer at a factory , no schooling learned from others only no degree make 28 /hour plus benifits , do some electrical stuff on occasions, what ever to keep plant running.9 years doing this job 27 doing mechanical ,operator, same plant

I am a Certified Engineering Technologist (C.E.T.) which required a 3-year college diploma along with a handful of other things. I am also a Licensed Industrial Electrican and a Licensed Master Electrician. I got my college education first and then did an Electrician apprenticeship to get some hands-on experience. I got my Masters license 3 years ago because I require it for my company to perform electrical contracting services (which I no longer offer). Other than during my apprenticeship I have always worked in an Engineering role but the time I spent as an Electrician has proved to be very valuable.

Electrician vs. Engineer

I learned programming from scratch as did My contractor and we are both electricains. I spend about 30% of my time programming weekly. A problem with Eng's is they tend to over do the programming and electricians tend to take excessive time. I have found that when both work hand in hand, they make a very effective teem so don't think or let anyone tell you electricians don't have thier place in programming.

I worked as an electrician & controls technician for about three years. Now I'm in school for automation and mechanical engineering, and I think the hands on electrical experience has made me a better programmer in some ways.

I am a licensed electrician, and worked as an industrial electrician for 15 years installing and troubleshooting PLC's, and control systems before i landed a job as a maintenance tech. I quickly moved into the instrumentation and automation department. And now i do about 50% of the inhouse programming and new projects. So i guess i am both.