What is your job title?

Years ago I discovered that nobody checked or proofread our business cards; we'd just order them from the printing service and they came with the official company logos and fonts. So I gave myself the title 'Automation Therapist'.

Whenever somebody actually read the card and asked about it, I would reply: "How does that make you feel ?"
ken, that reinforces the fact that your top notch!
I can relate to the title when it comes to a majority of my clients.

I'm a 'Control Systems Engineer', both because I think that is concise and because that's what it says on my professional license.

I'd stick 'Process' or 'Electrical' or 'Machine' on the front if you're advertising or looking for a job.

Years ago I discovered that nobody checked or proofread our business cards; we'd just order them from the printing service and they came with the official company logos and fonts. So I gave myself the title 'Automation Therapist'.

Whenever somebody actually read the card and asked about it, I would reply: "How does that make you feel ?"

Hilarious!!

Mine have been:-
Control Systems Engineer
Applications Engineer
Control and Automation Engineer

I feel that Systems Integrator is associated to a business rather than an individual.

Or if you want to joke with people, when they ask you what your title is you say 'Nuclear Physicist' ;)

Last edited:
On the company depth chart I was listed as PLC programmer but I got it changed to Controls Technician because I do way more than program PLCs but if I run into a situation where I don't have answers for management I shrug and tell them I'm just a converted millwright.

I know the feeling from the OP. When your suppose to pick a job title and the closest you get to is either electrician (change lightbulbs) or engineer (one of the broadest fields there is).
But in some cases they have a blank field you can input anything you want and thats better.

On my business card it says "Electrical Engineering & Automation" but when asked i just call it electrical engineer for short.

do all of you guys who call yourselves engineers have a degree in engineering? or is this just a title you can throw around?

do all of you guys who call yourselves engineers have a degree in engineering? or is this just a title you can throw around?

Where I use to work, non-degree people were called Technicians and degree qualified were Engineers.

These days engineers mean nothing as a title, the guy who fixes the photocopier is a service engineer with previously minimal experience in electronics and nothing in his career to do with engineering...

Officially: instructor, but

• When my boss describes what I have to accomplish: it must be God allmighty
  • When I receive my pay: it must be bubba
  • Depending on the one who is demanding something from me: anything in between those two

Kind regards,