Loading Panelview Plus 700

No, they don't. That is only the case if your subnet is 255.255.255.0 (x.y.z.0/24)

...which is the case in most of the professionally managed networks...254 devices on a subnet is already a "push"...Corporate ITs know what they are doing (well, mostly...:ROFLMAO:)
If you have to change the Mask why not enter the proper IP Address instead?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Default_gateway

Basically the gateway is the address of a router that the device can try to route through if the destination isn't on the local subnet.

For example: If you are on a LAN with a 2 PCs connected to a router that connects them both to the internet, you set that routers address as a gateway. That way, when the two PCs need to communicate with each other, they communicate directly. However, if either of them need to communcate with an ip address outside of the local networks range (such as 74.125.226.1 which is google.com), then they try to route through the gateway in order to load googles webpage.